Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Issues with Visual Studio + Unity

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Jan 25, 2018.

1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hey all,
    Thank you for your patience and support in regard of the current issues many of you have been facing with the Visual Studio integration in the beta. Both Unity and Microsoft are collaborating to make sure that they will get fixed. Everything related that has been reported in this forum so far has been passed on to the developers and they're actively working on it.

-------
    Added May 28th

Please submit bug reports + reproduction projects for your issues at https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com

-------

Regarding VS 2017: Loading a project in VS and switching to Unity causes VS to throw a File Modification Detected error. Reloading closes the opened project tabs.

The cause for this issue has been identified. In the meantime, as a temporary workaround, you can
    • Play the game in Unity (to trigger a reload of the code in Unity)
    • Delete csproj+sln in the project folder
    • Double click on a script
    to properly generate the projects.

Regarding VS: The clipboard buffer has a leak and copied content gets deleted. Autocomplete sometimes doesn’t validate on space and bracket.
    • This issue is under investigation.

The following issues are related and a fix for them will become available in one of the upcoming releases (the fix already exists).
    1. VS for Mac: Opening scripts in Unity doesn’t start VS.
    2. VS 2015: The 'Attach to Unity’ button disappears.
    3. VS: VS complains that the project is a class library and not an executable. Makes debugging impossible.
    4. VS: Some times help>unity api documentation disappears. ctrl+w which was remapped to file>close won't close a tab. ctrl+R which is remapped as rename, never works. Autocomplete can be sluggish at times and miss suggestions and forgets what was used before.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    nirvanajie and Peter77 like this.
  2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You forgot the autocomplete bugs

3. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Pnvanol and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Thanks.
    And also this one regression: not being able to toggle comment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  5. Xype

Xype

Just tell microsoft where to shove it and work with Rider, you aren't even working with them properly and they are far more integrated with Unity than Micropunk.

6. recursive

recursive

I've found an issue with the Mono 4.6 / .NET Standard 2.0 Runtime that seems to affect both Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio Code.

When I open my project in either, I get errors of the form: "Type AFFECTEDTYPE exists in both System.Core and netstandard". Not sure if this was reported elsewhere. Seemingly affects only .NET source types (such as HashSet<T>, several delegate types, Linq operators, etc). Happens on both Windows 10 (64bit) and Mac OSX (64bit). I haven't tested Linux VS Code.

Changing between Mono/IL2CPP for desktop doesn't make a difference.

It seems that the actual Unity Editor Compilation isn't affected, as I don't get the same errors.

Issue # is 996937

JesOb and z00n like this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Flipbookee and User340 like this.
  8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

b6 VS conditional breakpoint still not working: set condition to hits = 1000000, press play, the editor freezes, breakpoint not reached

10. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

And what about hits == 1000000 ? :p

The condition is executed exactly like in a watch/immediate window, so if you use a simple '=', you are just setting hits to 1000000 and perhaps this broke your code flow.

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

12. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Ah okay. I thought you were using a local variable named 'hits' in a conditional expression for the breakpoint.

13. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

And is this working with a small hit count ? I fear this conditional breakpoint is super slow because we have to resume the VM 1M times...

14. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

But this should at least play in the editor, even at very low fps. it is completely frozen
    another example that freezes the editor instead of playing until Time.time >= 5

15. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

and no attach to unity button, seems that the plugin isn't working
    this is on a fresh install after uninstalling unity, vs

16. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

You have a troubleshooting page when the plugin is not active:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...nd-known-issues-visual-studio-tools-for-unity

Regarding conditional breakpoints, every-time the Unity runtime is hitting a breakpoint (it has no clue there is a condition, this is a debugger client-only concept), it will stop all threads, then notify the debugger, then the debugger will check the condition and eventually instruct Unity to resume all threads in the case the condition is not met. This back and forth is super time consuming.

That's why it is not suitable for all usages, and sometimes it is easier to write a real 'if' condition in your code and put a breakpoint inside. This way the runtime will only suspend all threads when the breakpoint is really hit and will keep the game in a playable state.

Seb

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Peter77 likes this.
  17. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

The fix doesn't work.

Regarding the conditional break, i have used them in the past on vs, in 2017.3 and they worked, editor was a little slower but no complete freeze so this is probably a bug, #994770. When you access the project, minimize the # of fixedupdate calls by entering 100 in the spawner count like this

Peter77 likes this.
  18. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

VS in b7 still broken: autocomplete, debug, vst not loading always

19. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

VS (with VSTU) and Unity are not released with the same release schedule.

Regarding autocomplete, the issue you raised is now fixed and should be available in the next VS 15.7
    https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/24432

Regarding other issues, we are investigating them with Unity. cc @lukaszunity

20. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

vs auto updates? the installer has no notification of available version

21. garryjnewman

garryjnewman

Only real issue I'm seeing at the moment is how it slowly reloads each project when I double click a script in Unity. This is maybe more of an issue now because of the number of projects increasing with the assembly definition stuff and the package manager.

Threeyes and Peter77 like this.
  22. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Bonjour Laurent,

Unity fixed an issue early in the beta cycle and then some more in 2018.1 b8 where they weren't properly delegating to the Tools for Unity plugin the project generation. Down the line it meant the generated project wasn't recognized by Visual Studio as a Unity project, and the Unity specific features were not enabled. Could you give a try to 2018.1 b8, and if you're still running into troubles, it's probably something funny and exotic. I'll encourage you to reach out directly to my team at vstusp@microsoft.com and we'll help you investigate.

23. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hey Garry,

How bad is the reload time for one project in your solution?

In Visual Studio 15.5 we introduced a way to automatically reload Unity projects, and it had some issues with assembly definitions. We have a fixed scheduled to be released in 15.6. Let me know if you want to give it a try ahead of the release.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  24. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I'd love it if someone at Unity could test Visual Studio with Unity while running in .NET 4 mode. Debugging is still a nightmare that crashes every few seconds, doing anything with async even on the same thread will confuse the debugger thoroughly and hang the editor, and Unity randomly fails to detect changes to files to auto-recompile when running in .NET 4 mode.

25. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

I can't speak for Unity, but on the Visual Studio side we'd love to help here.

Our entire test suite runs on both the old .NET and the newer .NET, and we're not seeing those crashes. I'd love to get a hand on a repro project and take it from there.

async/await is something we need to improve on. Please also do send repros our ways.

recursive likes this.
  26. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

When you say send them your way you mean to your account here on the forums? I'd sent in a few crash reports and there were a lot of posts about this in the Scripting Upgrade subforum, with the response that .NET 4 support is still officially "Experimental" and we should expect it to crash and that it won't be ready for prime time for quite a while.

27. garryjnewman

garryjnewman

Like 15 seconds or something, I'll try to catch it on video next time it happens. It's annoying really because it seems to happen when no projects should have changed, and after reload it has closed all the open tabs.

I'm down with trying the patch - I just wish I had a way to reproduce it so I could tell you if it works :(

28. mangax

mangax

usually when i have issues with Visual Studio and unity, i just delete the cproj files of solution which is auto generated when you open visual studio, then most of these issues resolve on it's own.

29. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Whatever works best for you. The forum, or even reaching out directly to my team at vstusp@microsoft.com when something goes wrong with Visual Studio.

Jb

makeshiftwings likes this.
  30. Aurelinator

Aurelinator

I usually don't say anything because I just deal with the pain. But it's getting ridiculous. I've got already about 25 asmdefs in my project, and the second I add a new file and alt-tab out back to Visual Studio I have to sit there waiting somewhere between 40 - 50 seconds for the loading-unloading to occur.

I've tried to switch everything to VS code, and while I LOVE the instant opening speeds, I can't handle the lack of the shortcuts I know and love in Visual Studio proper.

I just want to see if I can understand - this reloading problem is fixed in the next VS version, (15.6), then, and will not be resolved as part of a Unity Beta update, right?

And if that's the case, is there any way to try out the 15.6 early?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  31. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Sure thing, you can give it a try to the preview.

You can install it side by side with another VS, just make sure to select it as the external editor in Unity.

Let me know if that helps.

32. pvloon

pvloon

Does not seem to help unfortunately - still seeing VS 15.6 reload all projects every time I switch pretty much

33. fogsight

fogsight

Installed Beta 8 using Hub with VS, it updated VS to 15.5.7 I don't have any project reloading issues now (edit: when creating new script or using log to jump to VS).
    However deleting scripts does trigger reloading and adds dozen of projects dependencies.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  34. Hertzole

Hertzole

I just got the VS 15.6 preview to test to see if it fixed the reloading issues others have mentioned. I don't see it as fixed as it still reloads every single assembly definition and package added through Unity.

Also, I believe I've found a pretty consistent way to get it to trigger this reload problem:
    Have VS open. Trigger a script recompile in Unity, either by Right click - Reimport or edit a script. Then double-click a script in the project view and VS should start reloading everything. Not sure if it's Unity or VS causing this.
    Tested with the latest VS stable build and preview build 15.6 and Unity b8.

35. Invertex

Invertex

Project reloading seems to be fixed for me in 15.6 P6. Can delete or add files from within Unity no problems and VS updates without reloading the projects.

There is still the glaring issue of most of my Asset folders and non-script files being visible in every Assembly in the Solution Explorer though. Which makes it very difficult to actually use the Solution explorer to manage files instead of Unity.

@RealMTG Make sure you manually added the VS preview through your Unity editor settings, you can't just install it and expect it to work, it's a separate install, you have to click the manual "Browse" option and find it, default folder is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Preview\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

36. Hertzole

Hertzole

I did add VS preview manually and chose the right one. I even remember checking if the version number to see if it was the right one, which it was.

37. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

I've read this entire thread and seen no mentioned, so I apologise if it's already been addressed, but has anyone else noticed that one every second or so reload of the solution, every project is littered with .uxml and .uss files? They generally contain similar to the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <UXML xmlns:ui="UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements" xmlns:upm="UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI">
    2.     <ui:VisualElement name="groupContainerOuter">
    3.         <ui:VisualElement name="headerContainer">
    4.             <ui:Label name="headerCaret"/>
    5.             <ui:Label name="headerTitle" text="Default" />
    6.         </ui:VisualElement>
    8.         <ui:VisualElement name="groupContainer" />
    9.     </ui:VisualElement>
    10. </UXML>
    As I said, switching between Unity 2018.1b9 an VS Community sometimes presents me with the standard solution and project layout, but other times, it looks to be a dogs breakfast. Is this something that the VS Preview 6 is supposed to address, in addition to the project reloads?

Unity 2018.1b9, .NET 4.x, .NET Standard 2.0. VS Community 15.5.7

38. Aurelinator

Aurelinator

Yeah... so I'm not sure if that's getting fixed, but if it helps, here's a solution I've got that literally just strips out the shader/uxml/cginc/uss/compute/hlsl files:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     [InitializeOnLoad]
    2.     public class ExtensionStripper : AssetPostprocessor
    3.     {
    4.         private static List<string> ignoredExtensions = new List<string>
    5.         {
    6.             "shader",
    7.             "uxml",
    8.             "cginc",
    9.             "uss",
    10.             "compute",
    11.             "hlsl"
    12.         };
    14.         // Triggers each time we regenerate the solution
    15.         static void OnGeneratedCSProjectFiles()
    16.         {
    17.             var currentDir = Directory.GetCurrentDirectory();
    18.             foreach (var filePath in Directory.GetFiles(currentDir, "*.csproj"))
    19.                 FixProject(filePath);
    20.         }
    22.         static void FixProject(string filePath)
    23.         {
    24.             var content = File.ReadAllText(filePath);
    26.             foreach (var extension in ignoredExtensions)
    27.                 content = content.HideLine($"<None Include=\".*\\.{extension}\" />");
    29.             File.WriteAllText(filePath, content);
    30.         }
    31.     }
    33.     internal static class RegexExtensions
    34.     {
    35.         public static string HideLine(this string content, string search, string replace = "")
    36.         {
    37.             return Regex.Replace(content, search, replace);
    38.         }
    39.     }
    Just throw this somewhere in an editor folder and it should hopefully clean up your solutions a little until we get a better fix for this.

VOTRUBEC likes this.
  39. f1chris

f1chris

Hi,

I'm now getting same 38 errors (subset below) when trying to run and attach the debugger. I can run the project no errors and even create a build.

I'm running out of solutions. Anybody hit similar issues ? I'm using Beta 9 and VS 7.3.3

thx

Target _HandlePackageFileConflicts:
    Encountered conflict between 'Reference:mscorlib' and 'Reference:mscorlib'. Choosing 'Reference:mscorlib' because file version '4.7.2558.0' is greater than '4.6.57.0'.
    Encountered conflict between 'Reference:System' and 'Reference:System'. Choosing 'Reference:System' because file version '4.7.2558.0' is greater than '4.6.57.0'.
    Encountered conflict between 'Reference:System.Core' and 'Reference:System.Core'. Choosing

..... more errors here

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.4.1/lib/mono/4.5/csc.exe /noconfig /unsafe+ /nowarn:1701,1702,2008 /langversion:6 /nostdlib+ /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 Done building target "CoreCompile" in project "Unity.ProBuilder.AddOns.Editor.csproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "Unity.ProBuilder.AddOns.Editor.csproj" -- FAILED.

40. Invertex

Invertex

Thanks for the script, it actually gave me an idea on how I could solve the issue of the AssemblyDefinition files being loaded with includes to nearly everything outside of the Assembly's folder as well. I was looking through the Editor DLL and found CompilationPipeline.GetAssemblyDefinitionFilePathFromAssemblyName() which I can use with the csproj's file name, and if it returns a string, it means we're working with an assembly definition csproj, and I can remove all the "<None Include" lines that don't contain this path.

As a result VS is loading our project in a few seconds instead of 10-15, because it doesn't have to process that huge load of useless includes anymore, and we no longer have huge clutter in the Solution Explorer. Hopefully Unity can implement this change internally though... because that seems like it could be a big source of compilation time waste happening there.

I've attached the script for anyone who wants to use it, just put it in an Editor folder as usual. (it also has the ignore extensions feature as well, so if you have Aurelinator's script you won't need it if using this one. Edit the extensions define at the top of the script to ignore whatever extensions you want.)

edit: Updated script: Uncommented the code I wrote to check for assemblydef folder contained includes in non-assemblydef csproj's that I thought wasn't needed but after further testing apparently is... The main project csproj files contain includes to all non-code assets even ones in an AssemblyDefinitions directory, when it probably shouldn't. So I remove all those.
    I also added an "ignore folders" options so you can exclude specific folders from all csproj files. It's disabled by default, enable it in the script and write what directores you want at the top.

edit2: Improved csproj editing method in updated script here that should prevent forcing all your projects to reload. https://forum.unity.com/threads/issues-with-visual-studio-unity.514304/#post-3409933

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  41. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hello everyone,

We've seen more and more breakages and issues related to the Visual Studio integration and how it generates projects to represent what Unity is doing.

To prevent those kind of breakages going forward, both the Unity team and my team have been working on a better long term solution. The foundations for those are already in b8, and will be available soon in Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac.

I'll post an update with instructions on how to give them a try.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    codestage and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  42. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hello again,

For 2018.1 beta testers, you can try the following builds of the Visual Studio Tools for Unity.

What will change? With those versions, instead of generating from scratch Visual Studio projects, the Tools for Unity are going to participate in Unity's project generation.

This means that we're going back to projects that are named Assembly-CSharp, but that Visual Studio still recognizes them as Unity projects to enable debugging and other Unity specific features. Unity's project generator in b9 doesn't support everything that VSTU's project generator supported (like full RSP file parsing), but most of you shouldn't have any issue, and we hear that full RSP parsing is in b10.

Visual Studio for Mac
    , please upgrade to version 7.4 in the Beta channel (Visual Studio -> Check for Updates -> Select Beta channel), and then install the extension (Visual Studio -> Extensions -> Install from File):

https://xamarin.azureedge.net/vstu/mac/1.4.0.3/MonoDevelop.Unity_1.4.0.3.mpack
    Visual Studio 2015, please install this version:

https://xamarin.azureedge.net/vstu/dev14/3.6.0.5/vstu2015.msi
    Visual Studio 2017, please install both components:

https://xamarin.azureedge.net/vstu/dev15/3.6.0.5/SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.vsix
    https://xamarin.azureedge.net/vstu/dev15/3.6.0.5/vstu2017.msi

For 2017, the VSIX is the Visual Studio extension, the MSI is the Unity extension, both are necessary.

After you've installed the version that you need, please check that Unity has loaded the new bits in its About window.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  43. Invertex

Invertex

Do you think it's safe to use this with 2017.3? As that is what I've been using and where my issues have been at. Or does only 2018 have the features you need for this to work?

44. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

You can use this safely with 2017.3, this will fallback to the current project generation that we've had for like ever.

45. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

This will just trigger another "project changed" event in VS... A better way to do that is to use our API:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/cross-platform/customize-project-files-created-by-vstu

Invertex likes this.
  46. Invertex

Invertex

Thanks for that, I was not aware this existed. The other way was the recommended way of doing these things by the Unity devs themselves. But thanks to your warning I looked around and it seems I had another similar bad behaviour script "RXSolutionFixer" that was shared on this forum a while back for fixing the incorrect .NET version being set in the csproj files (a bug I believe is long since fixed now)... So that file was likely a source for some of my issues as well, and may be for others.

In case anyone is interested, I restructured my script to use the way Sebastien has recommended.

edit: Wrapped code in #if ENABLE_VSTU to prevent errors thrown for team members who don't have VS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    nirvanajie, jbevain and sailro like this.
  47. Aurelinator

Aurelinator

Hi @jbevain - this is pretty exciting. However, I'm still in the same boat. It does seem faster, but I'm still seeing the unloading-reloading of all 20+ files of mine every time I add a file.

I installed both the vsix and the msi; and I'm on B9 with Preview 15.6. I can tell that 3.6.0.5 is in my VS installs - but I'm not sure where in the About page I can see the VSTU bits installed in unity?

I suppose I'm wondering why my addition of a new file to, say the Assembly-csharp top-level project forces reloads of all of the csproj's in my project. A lot of them are "finished" code, and I'm half tempted to just move everything out to DLLs at this point just to avoid the constant reloading.

That said, I just wanted to say thank you for being so active here on these forums and being so willing to hear us out and look into things for us. For all of our bitching here on the forums, VSTU is still an incredible product, and the only reason we complain is because using Unity with Visual Studio is just leaps and bounds better than anything else. So, thanks!

sailro and jbevain like this.
  48. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

You can check inside Unity's about Window, that will tell you which version of VSTU is handling the project generation. If it's the 3.6.0.5 that I posted, you're now in this new mode where we cooperate with Unity's project generation instead of fully taking over.

Do you think you could share your 20+ csproj Unity project privately? I'd like to investigate a real world use case. It's possible that we missed something.

No worries at all. We perfectly understand how frustrating it can get when the tools you need to get the job done are not working for you, and we're here to make Visual Studio work best with Unity. Obviously synchronizing the schedules and work between two companies like Unity and Microsoft can be challenging, but I think the latest work we've been doing with Unity should provide a much smoother integration going forward after 2018.1.

49. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Here are direct links to the 7.4 Preview:

https://dl.xamarin.com/MonoFramewor...k-MDK-5.8.0.127.macos10.xamarin.universal.pkg
    https://dl.xamarin.com/VsMac/VisualStudioForMac-Preview-7.4.0.1026.dmg
    And is the extension to install to try the latest bits of the Tools for Unity in Visual Studio for Mac:

https://xamarin.azureedge.net/vstu/mac/1.4.0.3/MonoDevelop.Unity_1.4.0.3.mpack

50. f1chris

f1chris

thx @jbevain

I've deleted my original post (not fast enough loll) to avoid confusion since it was an error Code 13 ( problem's 13inches away from the screen ;-)

I re-installed VS for Mac and applied everything as you said and it's all working perfectly now.