Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Issues with sprite sorting on Isometric Z as Y tilemap in 2D Tech Demo

Discussion in '2D' started by paxandromeda, Nov 12, 2020.

1. paxandromeda

paxandromeda

Good evening,

I am using the same isometric Z as Y setup as the 2d-techdemos IsometricZasY scene. However, I am experiencing similar issues that are exhibited in this scene that basically break it for me. I was wondering if anyone knew the solution to this weird sorting issue, especially @ChuanXin if possible. I have had little to no luck solving this issue. Please help!

2. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

The Z position of the Player_Isometric_Witch GameObject may have been set too high for such positions. You could try lowering it by 0.1 per height level (eg. 1.9 on the ground) so that it works better for such areas. We will check through this demo project again to make this better!

3. paxandromeda

paxandromeda

I'm not sure that would make much of a different sadly, I've tried using multiple Z levels and I can't seem to find a logic behind it. We were unable to find any solution to reliably sort the sprites based on their Z position and all of that. :(

If you decrease the height, it will start clipping into other tiles on the ground possibly, which is back to square one

4. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

I guess the custom axis sort is not a perfect solution for this unfortunately. In order for it to work, quite a bit of work needs to be done to handle this properly. This includes preparing the Sprite assets such as splitting the larger art assets to sort properly and setting the correct pivots, and even then there are situations where the sorting breaks as you have seen above.

If you could share some examples and screenshots of your use cases regarding sorting, we will try to help out with this! Thanks!