Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Issues with Setup

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by MugOfPaul, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MugOfPaul

MugOfPaul

With a totally clean install, following the current instructions won't work. In addition to the provided instructions, I also had to:
    - Install Experimental Input from this branch (editorvr/main)
    - Install Sixense package and allow the API updater to run

At that point, I'm stumped on 2 errors both in the VRView script calling functions on SceneViewUtilities that don't exist (BlitRT and a overload of DrawCamera). I quadruple checked I was running the 5.4.3xEditorVR-p3 build of the Editor.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Jyakku

Jyakku

Just chiming in here to say that I was also unable to get it set up while following the doc. I'm using the 5.4.3xEditorVR-p3 patch, the latest Oculus Utilities it said I needed for Rift + Touch, and the EditorVR Unitypackage.

I've enabled Oculus as the primary VR SDK in the Player settings, but I still receive an error that reads "EditorVR requires at least one partner (e.g. Oculus, Vive) SDK to be installed for input." It's unclear where to go from here, but maybe there are some issues that Unity is still working out considering it was just launched hours ago.

3. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Hm. I've tried to reproduce these issues with no luck. You do need the Oculus Utilities if you want to use Rift/Touch, and the SteamVR package if you want to use Vive.

The BlitRT and DrawCamera issues would indicate that you are using the wrong Unity editor, but since you quadruple-checked...

Are you trying on an empty project or by bringing EVR into an existing project? Are there any other errors or warnings in the console?

4. IFL

IFL

[EDIT::] Solved - deleted and re-imported everything. Works for me on Vive now.

It works for me on the Vive, but the visuals are either not drawn or not loading correctly (the menus on the controllers just show a loading icon on each of the 4 panes). The gizmos are invisible but functional - so kind of like shooting into the dark.

[EDIT::] Something to do with layers might be causing my problems. For instance, changing the Unity logo on the controllers from UI to default suddenly shows them, and they're still functional.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  5. Jyakku

Jyakku

Hey mtshoen, thanks for the reply. Figured I'd start with an empty project to get my bearings first, so there's nothing there besides Oculus Utilities and the EditorVR package (I opened the testScene scene file from that package). No other errors in the console besides the "...requires at least one partner..." error I mentioned. Hope this provides some clarity; let me know if I can help in any way.

6. nynox

nynox

Works on Oculus for me like a charm. You sure you followed all steps?

7. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

8. Jyakku

Jyakku

9. MugOfPaul

MugOfPaul

Totally new project. All packages were downloaded freshly today. Followed all instructions (Installed OVR even though I don't have a Rift set up. Installed Sixense even though I don't have that device).

I agree it seems like the wrong version of the Editor which is why I 4X checked ;) I do, however, have it installed alongside a release version of 5.5 (EVR build is installed in a directory on my E: drive).

10. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

No, the only log would be the regular Unity log. Are you sure you're on the Windows build platform? Would you mind making a zip of that project and uploading it somewhere for us to look at?

Other general info like OS version and any other VR-related setup would be helpful.

What is supposed to happen is that a feature we call the Conditional Compile Utility is supposed to check for the existence of certain classes, and when it finds them, it adds a preprocessor define which enables our scripts to use those classes. In the case of Touch, it should add ENABLE_OVR_INPUT to your defines when it finds a class called OVRInput.

You could try adding that manually and see what happens. If you see compile errors it means that somehow the Oculus Utilities package isn't compiling properly.

11. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Aha. That's definitely not going to work, since we expect an HMD when we do our drawing. It is still very odd that you're getting those particular errors. It shouldn't matter, but I assume that you don't have the Oculus store and drivers installed, and don't have the Sixense driver? Even in the wrong Unity build, you shouldn't be seeing those errors unless you manually defined UNITY_EDITORVR

I might be able to get more information if you zipped and uploaded the project folder (probably best to use Google Drive or Dropbox), but even then, I'm starting to think that it's just your setup. Unfortunately, without the hardware, you would just see a blank view anyway.

12. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

That's great! Seems odd that you'd have to do that, so we'll keep an eye out for the issues you described.

13. Jyakku

Jyakku

Yes, I can confirm I'm on the Windows build platform. I zipped up the project and you can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i186ipo3zi5rxop/unity-vr-sandbox.zip?dl=0

I'm running Windows 10, whatever the latest release is. I've got A Rift CV1 and a Touch dev kit (version C07L).

I'll give the force define a shot; let me know if you can glean any info from the project settings. Thanks so much for bearing with me on this one.

14. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting. We want to make sure this works for everyone!

15. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing the zip. I did confirm that you were using the right Unity build. When I opened the project I did see that warning come up, but I was actually able to run EditorVR and the ENABLE_OVR_INPUT define showed up.

16. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Come to think of it, you might just need to trigger a recompile. Try a "reimport all" and see if that does the trick.

17. MugOfPaul

MugOfPaul

I have a Vive setup that I've been actively developing on this PC with Unity. The scripts won't compile at all without installing OVR and Sixense packages. I have no errors about 3rd party dependencies.

Do I need both Vive and Rift set up? Still wouldn't explain having a SceneViewUtilities without those 2 functions.

18. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Oh, sorry. I assumed that you had no HMD connected. If you have a Vive, you'll need the SteamVR package.

And yes, I'm still perplexed by those errors, but those are internal API's, so nothing in your project would affect that. I'm not aware of any way that Unity could be pointing at the wrong UnityEngine/UnityEditor DLL's but if you are in fact running the right version of the editor, I'm out of ideas.

I don't want to suggest anything drastic, but my next approach would be to remove all traces of Unity from your machine and install just the custom build, or simply trying on another machine. Even if you've tried on clean projects, it might still help to try a "reimport all" or deleting your library and re-opening Unity to see if it's some kind of stale data in the project.

19. MugOfPaul

MugOfPaul

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actively working on a 5.5 project and getting the EVR isn't a priority for me so I'll probably hold off until it gets a little more testing from others.

20. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

I finally found a way to reproduce this! I'm not sure what I did but somehow I ended up with a UnityEditor.dll that didn't support the SceneViewUtilities functions that you were seeing errors about. It could have been installing a regular Unity version after running the EditorVR installer--I'm not exactly sure.

After doing a fresh uninstall/re-install of the custom EditorVR build of the Editor, I was able to set up a fresh project. Try as I might, even if I deleted the Library folder of the original project, I still got the same errors after a re-install, which is pretty odd. Hopefully this workaround will help anyone else who encounters this issue.
    produce this! I'm not sure what I did but somehow I ended