Search Unity

Issues with Plugins

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dozam, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Dozam

Dozam

So I'm having some issues with plugins and wondering if I'm missing something. I got a plugin from the asset store, Using the asset manager I added it to my project. The user guide for the plugin says that the plugin is accessible via the Window menu, but it isn't there. Is there something I have to do to "activate" or start the plugin first? Nothing was really stated in the user manual...

I had the same issue with another plugin as well, so I'm wondering if there is some obvious thing I'm missing.

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

3. Dozam

Dozam

Not exactly, as the assets in question came from the asset store.

4. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Ah. You imported it directly through the Assets menu then. Hm...Let me circulate with our Asset Store team and I'll see if they have a solution.

5. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Alrighty, bounced this off of our Asset Store team. So, publishers can add editor actions in the menus, often they use the “window” menu to stick their custom actions. This, then, looks like it would be a question for the publisher of the asset to answer, as they control that functionality.

6. Dozam

Dozam

That's the thing though, these plugins are supposed to have that functionality built-in, it is in the user guides...but for some reason, I'm not getting it.

7. Dozam

Dozam

There are no additional steps that need to be taken after importing a plugin/asset to get it integrated into the program? Is there a way to preload assets/plugins so that they load into every project automatically?

And what is the trick with getting unity to pull assets from Github? That was one of the plugins in question. I downloaded it because Unity wouldn't recognize that I had the Github application installed. But even with the plugin imported I can't pull software from Github.

8. Dozam

Dozam

9. Schneider21

Schneider21

Nope. If the plugin is built properly, configured correctly, and compatible with the version of Unity you're using, it all just magically works once imported! Some do have steps you need to take to get them setup properly, so you should read the documentation for each asset you're using.

That's what @TreyK-47 was saying earlier. If you're seeing errors with an asset not working correctly, you have to go to the author of that asset for help, since they're the ones responsible for the code throwing the error. If the error messages you're seeing a pointing to internal Unity libraries, you file those with a bug report.

Not presently. I suggested it when they first created the pre-configuration menus and a Unity dev suggested it was a good idea, but not planned to be implemented anytime soon.

Are you talking about importing assets that are managed solely through an open Git repository instead of the Asset Store? You can just clone or download that stuff and throw it in the Assets folder of your project, and it'll act the same as an Asset Store plugin. There's no interface inside Unity for adding external packages that way.

Again, if you have issues with using something from a public repo, you have to go to their issues page instead of Unity.