Search Unity

Issues with Input System and keyboard layouts

Discussion in 'Input System' started by ZoidbergForPresident, Dec 24, 2020.

1. ZoidbergForPresident

ZoidbergForPresident

Hi,

I want to insist on the possible improvements possible in this domain and the couple things I remarked from the available docs.

In the Knights demo, when one rebind the control for attacking (by the way, does it work for movement keyboard keys/joystick?), it is the key that is physically on a qwerty keyboard that is displayed (so I press "A" and I get "Q") and I really think that improving this to make it "layout agnostic" would be great: instead of naming keys with a string representing their character on a qwerty layout, just use an integer to specify the physical key and use it with conjunction to the detected keyboard layout (Keyboard.current.keyboardLayout returns the wrong value by the way) to get the correct displayed key. It would be the same in the Unity Editor (display of keys would update when a keyboard layout is changed).

I mean what if you had a circle prompt for a command... in a Switch game?!

This makes as much sense as this "qwerty as default" issue.

I've been told by support to basically implement this myself but it really should be part of the basic tooling because this is a pretty annoying issue for non-qwerty players and devs and just ignoring it while at the same time encouraging controls for handicapped players just looks hypocritical to me.

Thanks for your time and/or input.

amagee9, dan-oak and Thygrrr like this.