Search Unity

Issues with First Person Controller / Mouse Look in Firefox and MS Edge

Discussion in 'Web' started by Matt_at_mindtrigger, May 17, 2018.

1. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

Hi,

for our web-based visualizations we use Unity's (5.5.2) standard FirstPersonController / MouseLook solution with one slight modification:

To look around you additionally have to hold down the left mouse button (so you can also use your mouse to navigate menus, etc. without looking around the scene). We have smooth checked and smoothTime set to 5 (which is the standard I think).

Everything works fine in Chrome and also Safari (and had worked for years in Firefox as well)... however recently (a few months ago) newer versions of Firefox at some point always start to wildly tear the camera into a different direction after you have walked and looked around for several seconds. The system somehow seems to charge itself into this state. You then pretty much have to release the left mouse button and have the smooth "cool off" to start over.

On MS Edge I experienced even worse behaviour... the MouseLook stopped working after a few seconds and instead I got a half-transparent "new document"-icon with a red circle attached to my cursor as if I was drag&dropping an icon from my desktop... this happened every time I pressed the left mouse button.

Anyone else here encountered this kind of behaviour and does anyone know a solution to this? I really need a working first person mode for webGL...

2. _neobine

_neobine

3. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

Yes, that's exactly the icon I was talking about.
    Thank you!

4. _neobine

_neobine

you're welcome ;D

5. jmorrice

jmorrice

Did you ever figure this out? I'm running into the same problem in Firefox and can't come up with a solution at all. The controls are completely unusable in firefox and edge, but fine in chrome.

6. krakentanz

krakentanz

I seem to run into the same problem. Only on Firefox on Mac, and only when running a build that was uploaded to itch.io. Unitys 'build and run' localhost runs the same build just fine in Firefox. Any Idea what this is? Any Pointers?
    Thx