Search Unity

Issues with Cardboard build from Daydream Preview

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by UmairEm, Dec 16, 2016.

1. UmairEm

UmairEm

Hi all,

This is day 2 and I am stuck in the middle of nowhere while using Daydream Technical Preview.
    As this editor version has Native support for Virtual Reality, I decided to use this for Cardboard app. (Just to use features offered by native support and to improve performance).

I imported Google VR SDK v1.10 (latest) which has Daydream and Cardboard assets. Tried to built GVRDemo scene on S6 running on Android 5 and app stuck on splash screen showing following exception in logcat:

But the same app runs on S5 and S6 devices with Android 6 Marshmallow. (Its not running as smooth as it was when built from Unity 5.4.2f2 but that's another problem).

So Technical Preview is only meant to be used for higher versions of android ? It makes sense for Daydream targeted applications but I am only building for cardboard.

Has anyone faced this issue before or has any solution/fix for this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

Please check the following files are not in Assets/Plugins/Android:
    • AndroidManifest.xml (to start with)
    • gvr_android_common.aar
    • unitygvractivity.aar
    • libs/armeabi-v7a/libgvrunity.so
    • libs/x86/libgvrunity.so
    And check that Player Settings > Virtual Reality Supported > Cardboard is enabled. This should allow you to build and run the GVRDemo scene, although we've seen that some S6 devices on Android 5.1.1 do not support head tracking.

3. UmairEm

UmairEm

@mira_leung

I triple checked and none of these files exist in my project. Cardboard VR support is activated as well. So if the phone doesn't support head-tracking, would it work if I update it?

EDIT :

What is recommended depth format and "Enable Tansition View" settings in cardboard VR SDK?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

@UmairEm

• Having a larger depth buffer will lead to worse performance, so I'd suggest 16-bit unless there's a need otherwise.
    • If "Enable Transition View" is checked, you'll see a prompt to place your phone in a Cardboard when starting up the app.
    • What error are you currently seeing? What does it look like on the S5 or S6?
      If head tracking doesn't work on the S6, you may need to use a different phone.

AugmentedExistence likes this.
  5. iblanc

iblanc

I know this is kind of old, but I'm facing the same problem.
    I have just updated my Asus ZE551ML from Lollipop to Marshmallow, and rebuilt some old cardboard apps using the Technical Preview. These apps worked fine when built from Unity 5.4.1f1 using GVR sdk 0.9.1.

Now, when starting the apps:
    - First scene loads, but is frozen (as if sensors are not working);
    - Screen is not split (as if vr mode is off).

@UmairEm
    Do you have any guess?

@mira_leung
    Any progress since you found this issue? Did you manage to solve it? How?

I'm stuck for 2 days without a solution and all I can think of doing now is get back to Unity 5.4.1f1 and the old sdk, as well as downgrading my phone back to Lollipop.

I would really apreciate any help, comment, guess...

6. Arkade

Arkade

hey @iblanc
    Just got here investigating "Enable Transition View". I'm doing the same but without the phone change. One quick and slightly patronizing idea in case helpful:

Have you checked your "Edit | Project settings | Player" to ensure you've enabled VR support and added a target (e.g. Cardboard) ?

What's in your log? Perhaps might hold clues. HTH!