Search Unity

Issues with app built for iOS 15 and Xcode 13

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Nickjd331, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Nickjd331

Nickjd331

I am finding that when running an app from Xcode 13 on iOS 15 I am greeted with a blank background for the vast majority of app launches. Both running linked to Xcode and when unplugged.

The version of the app from the App Store built with the previous Xcode runs fine, but when building the same code on the new Xcode it fails to load on the device. Looking at the crash logs iOS is sometimes crashing the app due to 20s of inactivity, but other times it just stays on the blank screen, neither time even showing the splash screen image. In some scenarios whist trying to debug this my phone also entirely seizes up and needs to be restarted to work.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm beginning to think this is something I will have to wait for a Unity update to fix.

2. lyha

lyha

We've been releasing with Unity 2020.3.9 for a several months, no problems. This release we've updated Xcode to version 13. And today received a report with black screen on iOS 15 devices. Looks like not during the first session.
    In our case looks like it's crashing.

3. mindravelinteractive

mindravelinteractive

We have had the same issue and it has taken hours and hours to debug. Do not upgrade to Xcode 13 - the black screen is so random (but persistent when it appears for the first time)

4. rtalerico89

rtalerico89

Also experiencing this issue. It's only happening to one of two projects I've updated, still trying to figure out the cause. Any updates from above would be great - will also update when/if I figure this out.

As the users above me mentioned, running iOS 15 and Xcode 13. I have yet to see this come up on my iOS 14.7.1 device.

This has happened across multiple Unity 2019 LTS builds.

5. lyha

lyha

Found workaround for our crash. If you are using Firebase, try to add to Info.plist (via Xcode, Boolean type):
    FirebaseAppStoreReceiptURLCheckEnabled = NO

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Randhall and rtalerico89 like this.
  6. rtalerico89

rtalerico89

This resolved the startup freeze for me. Thanks!

7. mindravelinteractive

mindravelinteractive

Hey Iyha,

I tried this but my startup freeze didn't get resolved.

Could you please tell me what Unity version and Firebase version you are using in your current project?

Thanks.

8. Becreatives

Becreatives

Hi,

Same here: added that string in Info.plist but it didn't work for us. Any advice?

9. mindravelinteractive

mindravelinteractive

The best advice at the moment is to use Xcode 12.5 - and create direct builds on phones with iOS 14. For iOS 15, test after uploading to Testflght. This is how we're managing this at the moment.

10. rtalerico89

rtalerico89

Make sure you set the type to Boolean and the value to either NO or 0.

11. lyha

lyha

Sorry for the late response. I've mentioned Unity version on original message - Unity 2020.3.9. Firebase - 8.2. No issues with Xcode 12.5.

12. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

I'm getting pixelated/artifacts on textures everytime a 3D object is rendered when running Unity built apps on ios 15 (latest 15.0.2). No problem with ios 14.7.1 or 14.8.

Tested on iphone 12 Pro Max, mini ipad 4, iphone 6. Built on Xcode 13, macOS BigSur 11.6.1 and Unity 2020.3.11f1 Color space linear and render pipeline URP, intel chip.

Snapshot of artifacts here.

Note - no black screen.

Found the problem - any 3D Object (editor or runtime) that has material 100% smooth and a pointing light (tested spotlights) create the problem to 3D objects lit by these when URP. I've raised a bug for Unity 2021.1.26f1 and latest 2020 unity version.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  13. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

Just to chime in. I'm having the black screen issue as well as a bunch of other issues. I can build the app 5 times and get 4 different errors and 1 successful install and run. Xcode 13 M1 MBP.

14. Nickjd331

Nickjd331

I found a solution to this eventually.

In Xcode go to the "Build Phases" part of the project file.
    From there you can see the "Link Binary with Libraries" section.
    Add the "UnityFramework.framework" to this list.

This solves the issue that was the project attempting to access some Unity files before they were made available, and therefore hanging or crashing. I think this will be solved in the future within Unity, but it works for me for now.

15. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

16. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

Changing the Clear Flags of the camera off of Don't Clear solved my black issues.

17. taihe-lichong

taihe-lichong

work for me

18. Storyclock

Storyclock

Thank You! Works for me too

19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is this still an issue? With what Unity version? Is 2020LTS affected? Is 2021.2? (I haven't had issues with 2021.2, but I haven't built with 2020LTS for a while).

20. Nickjd331

Nickjd331

I'm still having this with 2020LTS, but the workaround is still functional too.

Glad to hear it might be fixed with 2021 though!

21. thomas_triplefun

thomas_triplefun

Added the UnityFramework.framework to the link binary with libraries seems to work for me too.
    Thank you :)

22. chenerli

chenerli

Thank you, Work for me too!