Search Unity

Issues when playing my game on Steam

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Nathan_D, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Nathan_D

Nathan_D

Hey guys,

I've recently got my game to run on Steam and I've run into a few problems that I don't see when I run the game in the editor. Strange behaviors like sprites not appearing until a few frames after they're supposed to, and singleton classes not carrying over values when loading a new scene.

One thing I definitely noticed is that I have a variable found through gameobject.Find<Type> in my Awake() class in ScriptA. This variable is needed by another Start() function on ScriptB, which by my execution order is called after ScriptA. In the editor ScriptA finds the type, which is then used by ScriptB, but on Steam this returns a null reference, as though Awake() ran too slow to find the type, which returned null when ScriptB went looking for the reference.

All this works just fine in the editor but once it's on Steam weird stuff happens to my game. Has anyone had any experience like this before? I'm using the Steam SDK 1.38a, which is not the newest version. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

Always stay up-to-date with your SDK tools because devs release bug fixes periodically. I am developing on Android and one time the shadows are not working even though I tried the game on different phones from my friends. So i updated my android sdk and the issue is fixed.