Search Unity

Issues loading Crunch Textures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ZO5KmUG6R, Jan 11, 2018.

1. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

When trying to load Crunch textures, I get an error that I'm using an old version of crunch.

However, I'm crunching textures with the latest version on the Unity Crunch git.

Has Unity released some update of their crunch library that's not on the git?

markgrossnickle likes this.
  2. r3dwolf

r3dwolf

Hi, I have the same problem with 2017.3.1p2.
    Does anyone know a way to make it work?

3. markgrossnickle

markgrossnickle

4. r3dwolf

r3dwolf

Thanks @markgrossnickle,
    I understood that it was necessary to use the native plugin only if you used the textures created with the old version ...
    Is it the same even if you create with the latest version available on unity github?
    So the latest version on the unity repositories is not the one used internally by unity or is there a bug loading raw crunched texture?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. markgrossnickle

markgrossnickle

@r3dwolf I am not certain. Sorry. You'd need to get in touch with someone on the Unity team for insight into what version they are using.

If I were to guess I'd say they are using a modified version that does not match up with the github latest version since the github version works with old files and the unity one does not.

6. markgrossnickle

markgrossnickle

But if you are using Unity's then you should be fine and not need any of this. If you are having a problem with a specific build of Unity then I'd make a bug ticket.

7. GXMark

GXMark

The main issue is really in how you use the crunch. If you are making a game which you can rebuild when unity finally again to decide to change crunch and make it incompatible with the existing then great. If you are creating assets that will load at runtime using there built in crunch then you would FXXXCKED if they changed it.

The latest on git hub def is not the modified unity version which kinda disappoints me since there was ment to be a greater push from unity to become more community source code available to its users. So yes the git hub has a wickedly long creation time althought the results are superb. I have personally just put a wrapper on it to integrate it into C# which works fine.