Search Unity

Issues importing FBX Maya to Unity (weird keyframes showing up)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by CatOnTheRoof, Oct 21, 2013.

1. CatOnTheRoof

CatOnTheRoof

Hello all!

My most recent issue has been related to the FBX exporter/importer (apparently). I just made a very simple animation where a boat moves in circles in the scene. Parented to the boat, there is a character. The character doesn't have any keyframes at all, he's just sitting on the boat. When I play the animation in Maya, there's no problem at all. When I import it into Unity, weird things begin to happen:
    - The animation plays ok, but will have weird deformations during 3-5 frames at certain places (like in the screenshot)
    - All of a sudden, when I check the animation window, I see some keyframes being generated by either the FBX exporter or by Unity (see screenshot). These aren't seen in Maya Graph Editor.
    - I've tried switching the FBX exporter, played around with a few settings on the model file (Animation Compression, Animation Generation roots, etc).
    - I'm using Unity 3.5 (the latest available), and Maya 2012.

I hope someone can give me some advice as I already run out of ideas and this has become very frustrating.

Thanks!
    Nick.

$issue.jpg

2. CatOnTheRoof

CatOnTheRoof

Anyone? I've been looking around in the forums, but with no luck whatsoever... so, any thoughts would be appreciated...

3. CatOnTheRoof

CatOnTheRoof

Ok, I finally came up with another post where someone suggested using FBX exporter 2010. Now it's working... but COME ON!!! Who's fault is this? Unity or the FBX exporter? Because this seriously took me hours to find... such a waste of time.