Search Unity

Issues appearing on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by SkippyV, Aug 16, 2014.

1. SkippyV

SkippyV

Is anyone else experiencing these problems now with 4.5.3f3?

ISSUE 1: iPad 1 (RESOLVED)

ISSUE 2: iOS beta

When running landscape, builds on iOS 8 beta now change to portrait in the middle of the splash screen display. The problem exists through the first level load and then corrects once loading the second level.

Sure its beta, but I'm concerned since prior to 4.5.3f3 the problem didn't occur. So builds potentially deployed could experience wide spread issues once iOS 8 is released (depending on the reason).

Just looking to see if these problems are isolated to me. If not, I can file bug reports. I've been able to reproduce the same problems on two large projects so far.

Thanks - Scott

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    hgriswold likes this.
  2. SkippyV

SkippyV

UPDATE: Issue 1 appears to be unrelated to the new Unity build. Restarting the device, deleting apps, didn't work -- however resetting the device and clearing all data appears to fix it. I had rolled back to 4.5.2 in the process, but will retry 4.5.3 depending on the outcome of issue 2.

3. SkippyV

SkippyV

ISSUE 3 (iOS8): recent builds rendered localized text differently. In previous builds, rendering of Chinese worked while newer builds with the same font are rendering numerous glyphs as a square with a ? in the middle.

Is anyone testing on iOS 8 beta at all. Older builds of my apps are running fine on this iOS 8 beta but newer builds of the apps (using the latest Unity version) are all experiencing orientation issues on startup and font rendering issues for ZH glyphs.

4. SkippyV

SkippyV

UPDATE: Chinese font glyph issue on iOS8 appear to be specific to Unity 4.5.3. Building on 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 fixes the issue and 4.5.3 creates the issue.

Landscape orientation issue occurs on all 3 of the versions of Unity. Using an empty scene for the first level hides the problem outside of seeing the splash screen mess up half way into the loading.

5. adslitw

adslitw

I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour (splash screen rotating and the scene having incorrect height/width values). In my case that causes the UI to be positioned incorrectly.

And yep, I'm testing this using 4.5.3 and a build made in with Xcode 5 / iOS7 target, so my worry is also that if I was to submit to Apple for review this week (which was my plan) then when people upgrade to 8 they'll see these issues...

EDIT: Is there a known workaround for the screen rotation issue?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. SkippyV

SkippyV

Thanks adslitw. My only work around so far is to insert a blank/loader scene as the startup. The first seems to be the only one messed up ... and it forwards into my real startup scene. It obviously doesn't keep the splash screen from turning (but at least keep the app itself working correct). I'll keep digging around post a solution if I can find a better one.

7. adslitw

adslitw

So I've added a blank scene that simply loads the 'main menu' scene, and all UI is now in the correct place - good idea @LilBitStudio! Now to figure out a way to stop the splash screen from rotating and getting squashed! I presume there's something that can be done in SplashScreen.mm - is that safely editable if you have a pro license?

8. adslitw

adslitw

9. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Hi. Could you submit a bug report with a reproduction project?

10. Dave1138

Dave1138

I am also experiencing the Chinese font glyph issue on iOS 8 using Unity 4.5.3. Just about to update to patch 1 to fix the screen orientation issue on launch so going back to 4.5.2 isn't an option... I've filed a bug report today - anyone else fighting this?

11. Dave1138

Dave1138

Unity 4.5.3 patch 1 seems to have fixed the Chinese font issue for me - which also seemed to crop up on iOS 5.x FWIW.

12. SkippyV

SkippyV

Sorry for the delayed response, but want to say thanks for posting the updates/fixes!

13. Karsnen_2

Karsnen_2

Guys,

ISSUE : Orientation Issue with iOS8 when trying to change it during runtime.

I don think the Unity patch 4.5.3p1 solved it. I have Unity 4.5.4p1 installed in my machine.

PROBLEM :
    When I change my orientation on iOS device during runtime using this API http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ScreenOrientation.AutoRotation.html

There is a patch of black space which clearly states Unity is not able to figure out the width and the height of iOS.
    I also tried to check whether the empty/void black space would recognize any touch input - but nope. It did not.

Bug Report : http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?635894_ugcv2h2pgomm3gdq

Thanks!

14. IktanTrejo

IktanTrejo

I had the same problem, my solution was:
    - Setup iOS target 7.1 (On Unity project)
    - Player settings Orientation = Auto rotation, uncheck the portrait and portrait upside down
    - Build project
    - On Xcode: uncheck portrait and portrait upside down
    And works really good for me :D

15. Karsnen_2

Karsnen_2

Iktan Trejo,

Did it work on iOS 8 devices?
    Thanks!