Search Unity

Issue with transitioning two cameras opposite each other

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Aaron-Meyers, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I have a scene where two cameras in a room are facing directly opposite each other and at certain moments, they transition to and from each other. What I was looking for was a 180 degree sweeping turn from one camera view to another, but the results were really bad... a weird delay followed by an almost instantaneous flip.

Initially, the views were exactly 180 degrees apart, so I figured that perhaps this was some kind of gimbal lock sort of issue and how would Cinemachine even know which direction to sweep the camera?

So I cheated each camera's target transforms a little bit in the direction I wanted the camera to turn so that maybe it was now more like a 178 or 179 degree difference. When the transition occurred, it was still extremely wonky... a one second transition where only a frame or two showed the sweep!

At some point I realized that these cameras had the same priority level, but it didn't seem like it should matter because the camera I wanted to transition to was still taking precedence when I wanted it to. So I tried giving it a higher priority and it seemed to mostly fix my issue! Problem solved... right?

However, I came back to the scene with nothing else changed and its back to its old ways.

I've created a very simple test project that reproduces this issue. Ideally, I'd like my cameras to be as close to 180 degrees apart as possible, but I can living with it being a little bit off, but at the moment, the camera transition is completely unusable.

The cameras are largely static in the scene so even though they are currently using a Composer component for their aim, they could probably use anything else that would help with this scenario.

-A

Attached Files:

2. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

By the way this is Unity 2018.3.0f2 using the latest Cinemachine from the package manager.

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Aaron-Meyers likes this.
  4. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

@Gregoryl to the rescue again!!

Thanks... that did the trick. Can you explain a bit more about what that Blend Hint thing is all about and what the other options are useful for? If I was taking a multiple choice quiz, I probably would have guessed one of the others...

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The other blend hint options control the path the camera takes when blending between cameras looking at the same thing. Say you put a bunch of cameras around an object and switch between them. In that case you probably want the cameras to take an orbiting path when they blend, not a straight line which is the default.

The Screen Space Aim when Targets Differ is a little subtle. It influences how the camera rotates to frame a new LookAt target. Without the hint, the camera will look at a point that lerps from one target position (in world space) to the next. With the hint, the camera rotation is slerped instead.