Search Unity

Issue with Timeline, Plastic, and merging

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Drowning-Monkeys, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Hi Folks,

So I'm using Plastic SCM for my source control, and no matter what I try, I cannot get the timeline asset to merge correctly. Even in cases where the I pick not to merge and to preserve changes from a specific branch, the timeline asset breaks.

So then I tried saving the timeline from a specific branch and importing it into the merged changeset, and the timeline asset doesn't import correctly. In debug mode, the script attached to the timeline asset is not a "TimelineAsset" script, and because that script is hidden, I can't reattach it.

Is this a known issue? What can i do to work around this?

Edit - i can't export the timeline as a package either. It exports and imports properly, but the bindings go missing

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

well - im wrong. The problem isn't merging at all. The problem is my timeline becomes corrupted from time to time after saving and quitting. Things just go missing. In one of my branches an entire track disappears, in the other, half that same track disappears (cinemachine track btw)

3. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Hi @Drowning-Monkeys
    Do you save only the scene or the whole project?

also when doing an export, make sure to export the scene too

4. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Hi @thierry_unity
    I save whatever Unity tells me to save. I've never had to save anything except a scene though. My question is how can it be that certain tracks or pieces of a track can simply disappear?

5. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

We are aware of similar issues with Collab right now. I'm still investigating why it happen. In the meantime make sure to save the whole project before pushing changes in your SCM .
    Is there other tracks than cinemachines where you saw the issue?

6. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

When you say "save the whole project", what do you mean? When i quit unity, is it not saving the whole project? I always save and quit before checking in

7. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Well what I noticed is that the auto-save / load doesn't always work correctly with the timeline asset and I have to ''force'' save the project to avoid theses issues when using Collab.

i.e. I delete a track, want to revert using the history, Collab load a bunch of stuff but the asset stays untouched even if it should have bring the track back. I'm not sure what the Save on quit does exactly in theses situations so we need to investigate it a little bit more.

8. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

9. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

I agree, this is why we are investigating it ;)
    (for reference, here is the bug ID I opened for that case: 951974)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Drowning-Monkeys likes this.