Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Issue with NetworkStart and maybe NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectedClientsList.Count

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Erenquin, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Erenquin

Erenquin

Hello,
    I'm doing a small game.
    With 2 players, it was mostly working, but when I try to upgrade to 4 players I get some issues, currently for the scoring system.

In the Connection manager I use the "ConnectedClientsList.Count", as index in a list of spwan points and it works perfectly well. The 4 players are spawned at the correct positions:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         int ClientIndex = NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectedClientsList.Count - 1;
    2.         callback(true, null, approve, ClientSpawnTransf[ClientIndex].position, ClientSpawnTransf[ClientIndex].rotation);
    But for the scoring I'm trying something similar, and there the "ConnectedClientsList.Count" is zero, I tried both in "NetworkStart" and "Start".

Actually the ClientIndex variable is correct on the Host, but not on the clients and is defined as a NetworkVariable
    Code (CSharp):
    1.    NetworkVariableInt ClientIndex = new NetworkVariableInt(-1);

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public override void NetworkStart()
    2.     {
    3.         if (IsLocalPlayer)
    4.         {
    5.             base.NetworkStart();
    6.             //Debug.Log("Connect clients "  + NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectedClientsList.Count);
    7.             ClientIndex.Value = NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectedClientsList.Count - 1;
    8.         }
    9.     }
    11.     void Start()
    12.     {
    13.         Debug.Log("Connect clients " + NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectedClientsList.Count);
    14.     }

2. Erenquin

Erenquin

Should I use "if (IsClient) " instead of "IsLocalPlayer" ?

In the score update method I use "IsClient".

3. luke-unity

luke-unity

Unity Technologies

The ConnectedClientsList is only propagated on the server/host and will always been empty on clients. If you need this value you can use a NetworkVariable to synchronize it from the server to the clients.

4. Erenquin

Erenquin

Thanks a lot for the answer, ultimately that is what I did and it works fine:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public override void NetworkStart()
    2.     {
    3.         if (IsLocalPlayer)
    4.         {
    5.             ClientConnectionServerRpc();
    6.         }
    7.     }
    9.     [ServerRpc]
    10.     void ClientConnectionServerRpc()
    11.     {
    12.         ClientIndex.Value = NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectedClientsList.Count;
    13.     }

unityunity