Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with Metallic Map in the Standard Shader

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by xC0DEB10C, Feb 17, 2015.

1. xC0DEB10C

xC0DEB10C

I have an issue with using Metallic Maps. The gold you see on the below picture is a object that has its metallic R and A channels white, and the white part is paper which has a metallic R and A value of black.
    On the gold part you see the reflection just fine like its suppose to be but on the white, it has a reflection even tho its not suppose to and furthermore it doesn't display the reflection but some empty strange skybox looking reflection and this is not my skybox.

Untitled.jpg

I've noticed this before but now finally understand the issue, when the roughness value (A channel) becomes black, the image changes into this skybox and when it goes back into white it the real reflection shows up. Here is a better demonstration, with a freshly created cube from the menu, all defaults.

Untitled-1.jpg

So anyone know what this is or whats causing it? Like in my first image, I have objects that require non-reflective and reflective areas but with this they are messed up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Can't see anything in your first image. It's so cropped that I can't make out any details and generally understand what is going on.
    For your second screenshot. Are you sure you're using the latest beta version? My default material is white, and has a white preview icon. Also from your mesh renderer I can see that you have a reflection probe there. Are you sure it's not set custom and assigned to a custom cubemap? If it's not custom, make sure it's baked.

3. xC0DEB10C

xC0DEB10C

The realtime reflection probe works fine, its once the roughness value is 0 when this shows up. And im using the release candidate 2.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  4. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

How did you achieve this in your last screenshot? The default material has smoothness set at 0.5.

Can you create like a blank scene and reproduce this issue?

5. xC0DEB10C

xC0DEB10C

ok, this is a massive issue that needs to be resolved. Ill try to explain it again, as one can see in the pictures bellow, this sphere uses the standard shader and a reflection probe. The less smooth it gets, the more this empty cubemap shows up.

smoothness 0.0.jpg smoothness 0.3.jpg smoothness 0.6.jpg smoothness 0.8.jpg smoothness 1.0.jpg

also, setting metallic to 1 makes the effect even stronger... no matter what I set in the reflection probe this effect stays.

so any ideas?

6. cakeslice

cakeslice

I think this issue only happens with box projection, if you turn it off does it still look like that?

EDIT:

some tests:

Conclusion: don't use box projection until they fix this

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. xC0DEB10C

xC0DEB10C

Sadly no, like I said, I tried EVERYTHING on the probe, box projection doesn't make a difference.

8. cakeslice

cakeslice

Ok, I'm gonna make a new thread since this is a separate issue

9. Zomby138

Zomby138

This issue has been mentioned several times on the forum. It's because of the way the cube maps are sampled. It works fine in dx11, but has the problem you're seeing in dx9. If you're on a mac, I think you're stuck with those artifacts.