Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue With Light Artifact

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Sylon87, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Sylon87

Sylon87

hello!

i'm using Unity 2018.2.18f1 (64-bit) and i'm trying to figure out how fix this artifact, i got a Asset on the unity asset store then imported into my scene, but without set anything i got this

this screenshot is from the test scene into the asset, the Author has told me that it should be a Unity "Enlighten" light baking system bug, i tryied also to combine mesh to get it "smaller" but i still have the same issue, no way to fix it, any help?

maybe it is a bug of my unity Version and it was fixed on the latest one?

Attached Files:

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Seems like you are seeing some indirect noise in your scene. Try switching to Progressive lightmapper and increase indirect sample count to 2048 and rebake.

Also, does this asset have properly authored lightmap UVs?

3. Sylon87

Sylon87

hello! thank's you for your help.

i did what you said but i still have that artifacts

yes,asset have it's own lightmap UVs

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Could you send us a screenshot of your Lighting Settings window? Also, a screenshot of Baked Lightmap and Texel Validity scene views would be helpful (take them after baking your lighting).

5. Sylon87

Sylon87

yes of course

Attached Files:

6. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

There are no glaring issues with noise or invalid texels in your scene. However, it seems like the wooden cabinet is not even part of the lightmap. Select it in the scene view or in the hierarchy, and make sure that it is set to lightmap static in the mesh renderer component. Rebake, and the issue should go away.

7. Sylon87

Sylon87

i have already it marked as static as you can see from this capture

Attached Files:

8. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

To reduce the problem space a bit: if you put the cabinet into an otherwise empty scene and set it up to be lightmapped there with a single light source, will it show up in the lightmap then?

9. Sylon87

Sylon87

same issue on empty scene

Attached Files:

10. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please post a screenshot of the mesh renderer, after light baking has completed. Also, do you have any errors/warnings in the console?

11. Sylon87

Sylon87

this is ok?

Attached Files:

12. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Exactly what I mean, but please expand the Baked Lightmap and Realtime Lightmap sections.

13. Sylon87

Sylon87

here it is :)

this artifact will be visible only after a certain distance, if i'm going close the object with my point view it will be showed fine...

Attached Files:

14. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We would like to investigate on our side, what is the asset store package called?
    Also, I am still not sure what the artifact you are pointing out is, please mark up the original screenshot with an arrow and describe what it should look like if everything was working correctly.

15. Sylon87

Sylon87

Attached Files:

16. Sylon87

Sylon87

no way to fix it?

17. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Judging from your screenshots, this looks like an issue with mip mapping, as opposed to a lightmap artifact. Seems like the texture used for this asset does not have enough padding between bright wallapaper and dark wood UV shells.

This is something the author need to fix themselves in the package. Please contact them directly, and provide them with a link to this thread.

Alternatively, you could modify the texture yourself to add more padding between shells, in order to prevent mip seams.

18. Sylon87

Sylon87

no reply from the Author.. weill i have to do it myself..

19. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

That's unfortunate. You can use your DCC package to fix those textures up yourself. You can refer to this wiki page from polycount which explains edge padding and seams resulting from mipmapping better - http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding

20. Sylon87

Sylon87

Thank’s you ! I’ll check it! Again thank’s you!

21. Sylon87

Sylon87

i fixed it... i don't know if there is a way to fix that prefab, but what i did was just model it by myself because inside the package there is also a way to model it yourself, and where in the wall there is 4 poligon i just replaced it by build a new wall behind the wood
    thank's to everyone

kristijonas_unity likes this.
  22. fendercodes

fendercodes

@Sylon87 I'm also using that same asset from the store and have been struggling to get the prefabs to work well in lighting. The author has also been practically unresponsive.

I would be so grateful if you could send me (or explain to me) how to make the changes you did to fix the prefabs? I'm seeing it in all the walls.

I'm also interested in any settings you've used for baked lighting. I'm getting a Batches draw call count of 10,000 when trying to light my scene that isn't too big. The FPS is super low for most computers.

It seems like there is a huge amount of UV Overlap. So I went into each model used for the architectural prefabs (walls, arches, doors etc) and under its Model tab -> Lightmap UVs settings I changed the Pack Margin to 64. Whilst this didn't completely eliminate all the UV Overlap (tested using the "UV Overlap" mode in the scene view) it did help a bit overall.

23. Sylon87

Sylon87

actually i wasn't able to fix it at all, the author just told me to wait until he fix it.. but i passed about 3 months and is still bugged.. this is somethings that unity staff should help in.

it is strange that there is no way to get a refund..

let me know if you will be able to fix it please

24. Sylon87

Sylon87

i saw an indie game that it's using that asset and look's good , maybe they has find some way to fix it. you should check it out, the game name is Room 208, let me know if you will able to find a way to fix it.

25. fendercodes

fendercodes

@Sylon87 I've sent another email over to the creator to see if he can help. Was it not simple to fix in Blender or similar software? I'm guessing in Room 208 they just masked the problem by putting wooden planks over wherever the grid artifact was visible.

26. Sylon87

Sylon87

not really, as you can see from this gameplay video

they should have fixed it... but i got a reply from the author 5 months ago where he said "i will work on it, just give me some time" that's all.. maybe he just lie or maybe not.. i don't know.. what i know is that threw my money..

about a way to fix it yourself.. it's not so simple from my point of view

27. MasterQuantum

MasterQuantum

Okay to get your prefab items to show up, you need to use a directional light or a spot light to make it possible to be seen. I just realized this by accident. Area lights won't light up the prefab items for some reason.

28. Sylon87

Sylon87

are not going to show up the issue with the area light?

29. dana-schmale

dana-schmale

This is something that I've been encountering after switching our game over from Enlighten to the Progressive CPU Lightmapper. I'll post some of my screenshots.

I've authored all the models/lightmaps/etc myself, and these assets worked in Enlighten (for the past few years!).

30. dana-schmale

dana-schmale

I've attached images with Shaded/Light map/LM Density/Directionality.

I've also done experiments with increasing the Direct, Indirect and Environment Samples (individually and together) as well as the various Filtering types all without finding a fix.

Attached Files:

31. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

The number of indirect samples you are using is way too low. That's why you are seeing the noise which Gaussian filter has blurred out.
    Bump the indirect sample count to at least 256 if you are planning on using denoising.