Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with importing custom VR hand meshes

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Tjen, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Tjen

Tjen

Hi all :)

I have an issue with importing a new mesh and getting it to work with the new hands system.

So my approach has been this:

- Locate the mesh for one of the SteamVR hands and use that as an example for the rig/export in 3ds max.
    - Rig my new custom hand model to that rig/bones
    - Exported the new mesh back to Unity
    - Taken the prefab of one of the hands in the example and replaced the geometry with me new one.

Here is where my head scratching starts :confused:

My mesh goes haywire. Ok...

So I check everything that I can think of that could be wrong.

- Make sure my mesh is the correct scale and reset xform etc (all the usual rookie mistakes in max)
    - Check FBX export settings are correct
    - Check unity import settings are identical to the sample hand model (Geometry, Rig, Animation tabs etc)

Ok... Still no luck.:confused:

So I figure, it is probably my setup somehow.

So now I simply take the sample .fbx hand, load it up in 3ds max, export it (without changing anything but the mesh name). Replace that in to the Sample prefab (everything is identical in settings to the sample that I just loaded up).
    Yet - it still goes nuts.o_O

I might be missing something super obvious since I am recently back to using this new hand system after 2 years of VR break, but I've checked the sample prefab pretty thoroughly and I cannot find anything else that looks to be obvious that I need to tweak.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I've unfortunately not been able to find any guides from people importing a custom hand model in to this new'ish system, so if anyone knows of that it would be greatly appreciated as I seem to be missing something obvious here.o_O

Kind regards,

Tom

Attached Files:

2. sethvhkaar

sethvhkaar

import scale x100 probably , 3d program could be in CM