Search Unity

Question Issue with imported FBX

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by phishar, Feb 16, 2023.

1. phishar

phishar

I have an FBX model that has been tested in various environments like Mixamo/Blender/Microsoft 3D Viewer. The model looks perfectly fine then in T-pose and when an animation is applied to it (animations from Mixamo and some custom ones).

The problem arises when I import the FBX in my Unity project, the model then deforms and is broken in places, in both of the previously mentioned contexts. The issue is even more apparent when adding animations to the character. For example, the right shoulder moves like it's dislocated and the upper and lower chest areas moves differently.

For example, here is the model in various environments in T-pose:

Microsoft 3D Viewer
    3Dviewer_example.PNG

Blender
    blender_example.PNG

Unity
    unity_example.PNG

Here's the rig of the same model if that helps..
    rig.PNG

I have tried various combinations of Import Settings in order to try to fix the issue, but without any luck.

Since I am a novice when it comes to modelling/rigging/animating, I might've overlooked something obvious, but any ideas about what might be an issue would be of great help :)

2. bastien_humeau

bastien_humeau

Unity Technologies

Hi @phishar ,
    Could you open a bug with this FBX file and report the bug number here? We'll have a look as soon as possible, this doesn't seem to be related to any Unity setting, but more likely a bug in how we read and generate the blendshape and the skinned mesh during the import.

Thank you.

3. phishar

phishar

Hello,
    thank you for your quick reply! I opened a bug with the number IN-32803.
    Thanks in advance

4. CoffeeAndContempl8n

CoffeeAndContempl8n

I'm having a similar problem with FBX exports from AutoDesk products that display correctly in Microsoft 3D Viewer, AutoDesk FBX Review, and other standard viewers but show major geometry problems in Unity:

Imported to unity with standard import settings:
    upload_2024-3-21_10-54-53.png

Same file opened in Microsoft 3d Viewer:
    upload_2024-3-21_10-55-5.png

Any progress updates or solutions for this issue would be appreciated.
    Thanks!