Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with Google VR SDK in iOS application using Google WebRTC - protobuf incompatibility?

Discussion in 'VR' started by mbeale, Jul 12, 2018.

1. mbeale

mbeale

Hi,

we've got a third party customer using an iOS application which uses a library we provide which is built on top of webrtc (branch branch-heads/61) and the Google VR SDK (GVRSDK version 1.130.1, I believe).

Their application - for which we haven't got their source code - crashes on voice call end and we can see the following in the logs:

[libprotobuf FATAL third_party/protobuf/src/google/protobuf/stubs/common.cc:79] This program was compiled against version 3.0.0 of the Protocol Buffer runtime library, which is not compatible with the installed version (3.5.0). Contact the program author for an update. If you compiled the program yourself, make sure that your headers are from the same version of Protocol Buffers as your link-time library. (Version verification failed in "gen/webrtc/logging/rtc_event_log/rtc_event_log.pb.cc".)
    libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type google::protobuf::FatalException

From what we can infer, the fundamental issue is that webrtc has an older version - - 3.3.2? -- of protobuf bundled (src/third_party/protbuf) whereas the GoogleVR has 3.5.0? The line 'This program was compiled against version... 3.0.0' is admittedly a bit weird...
    All I can guess at the moment is that some protobuf object in webrtc is compiled with the built in older protobuf version and something within Google VR is picking this up and can't de-serialize it?
    I've tried to modify our local webrtc source build process so that a later version of protobuf is used but this hasn't been successful up 'til now and seems like a can of worms anyway?
    Does anyone have any pointers on:
    1) Building webrtc ios with a later version of protobuf?
    2) Getting webrtc and Google VR SDK to play nicely together?
    Kind regards,
    Mike Beale