Search Unity

Question Issue with connecting to server over LAN network

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Gary1q2, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Gary1q2

Gary1q2

Hi, I'm creating a unity multiplayer game and I am having trouble connecting to a server on a computer from another computer on the same LAN. I've searched far and wide for an answer but can't seem to find a solution that works.

If I create a dedicated server and client on the same computer I can connect fine to the server, but when I try to connect to a host from a different computer it just fails to find the server.

Example setup:
    Computer A running a dedicated server + a client: Client connects to server using local IPv4
    Computer B running a single client: Client attempts to connect to server using the local IPv4 address of computer A (I used ipconfig to find its ip, which is something like for example 192.168.124.1)

Things I have tried:
    -Tried allowing the application through firewall on both computers
    -Tried disabling firewall on both computers
    -Running as admin on both computers

Maybe I need to port forward? But port forwarding is only if somebody wants to connect over the internet right?

Kind of lost what else should I do? Any help is appreciated, thank you! :)

Edit: Wtf I was at uni and decided to switch to my mobile hotspot and it suddenly worked on two computers!!!! hmmmm maybe it is something to do with the networks :O, but still not working on my home network at home

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. Gary1q2

Gary1q2

UPDATE: I got it working, I would like to believe that it was because of my firewall, I had allowed the unity application to SPECIFICALLY be allowed but it still didn't work at the time because I was at uni, using my campus wifi.

I came home and it started working. holy moly yayy

Joe-Censored likes this.