Search Unity

Issue: Terrain - Tree's billboard resolution is too low

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hww, Jun 12, 2013.

1. hww

hww

Hello,

The resolution of tree's billboard looks to ugly for some of trees.

$bad resolution.jpg

Could it be resolved somehow? Thanks

2. scrawk

scrawk

That tree looks like its a billboard, hence the pixelated look. You can change the distance that trees are displayed as a billboards so try setting it to a higher number.

soumilrathi likes this.
  3. hww

hww

Thanks for reply :) But for performance reason i want to render billboards more closely then that. Currently Tree Detail Objects > Draw check box cost 600 draw calls (while terrain has 0 details, there are trees only). Also current setting is 89 meters for billboard distance.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. hww

hww

Resolution of tree depends on size of it. I "seed" two trees: left 100% size and right 200%, my camera FOV 18%. Look the image - bigger tree has worst resolution. Better to say they have same resolution but different size. But even small one has terrible billboard.
    $tree-size-to-resolution.jpg
    One mystery is clear to me. I should not use more 100% sized trees.But there are no explanation why 100% size also looks bad.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  5. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Something you might consider...don't use the built in tree system, painted on terrains. Use LOD to display your nice full detail tree up close, and lower detail trees further away. Depending on your situation (number of trees, etc), this might give you better performance.

You can also create your own billboard image and billboard it, showing a higher resolution tree.

6. hww

hww

Thanks.

7. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

Unity Terrain Tree billboards resolutions as I discovered depends only on tree-Prototypes count, so if you wanna increase resoltion - decrease prototypes count

8. ZackNewworldcoders

ZackNewworldcoders

Dude, you just saved me so much work, thank you for pointing this out, its absolutly true, i was able to look at 2 terrain peices side by side on a segment line, one with alot of tree's , one with just a couple, and you can see the differance

9. Tidvis_Martin

Tidvis_Martin

Sorry to be dredging up an old thread like this but I'm trying to resolve this issue and I'm getting nowhere in a hurry.
    I haven't been able to find any settings etither in the terrain or on the tree prefab for prototype count and I haven't been able to get any count variable from scripting in C# either. What exactly is a prototype in this instance? Just the number of different tree prefabs or the number of trees globally placed on the terrain or is it some variable somewhere that I haven't managed to get a hold of?

10. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

yes, just the number

11. Tidvis_Martin

Tidvis_Martin

Shiiit, really? That's very inconvinient. So assuming this means that there is some hidden texture atlas somewhere that has a set size that is used to hold all the billboard textures for the trees, so the more trees, the less space for each of them? You would not happen to know if this is on a per. terrain basis? So if I were to shrink my terrain and create neighboring terrains would this improve the quality?

Thanks for the reply btw :)

12. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

[QUOTE="if I were to shrink my terrain and create neighboring terrains would this improve the quality?

Thanks for the reply btw :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you separate you terrain on per-TreePrototype bases you'll have more resolution. Or you can use SpeedTree shader and it's own baked billboards.