Search Unity

Bug Issue Painting Grass Texture In Unity HDRP 2022.10b2

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Adastour, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Adastour

Adastour

Hello!

I was working on stylizing my environment when I discovered that I could no longer paint a grass texture on my screen. It was completely blurred out in the editor. I would just like to know how to add a grass texture in unity HDRP without the assistance of any packages from the asset store as I would like to keep my budget lower and many free packages clear existing terrain.

Have a great day/night/afternoon!
    Cheers, Adastour

Attached Files:

akent99 likes this.
  2. akent99

akent99

I think HDRP removed support for grass for terrains, and I have not heard a good answer of how to replace it. I had scenes with lots of grass etc that look barren now after upgrading to HDRP. Only answer I have seen was to use trees (models) instead and put grass textures on that (which I have not got around to trying yet). So if you find an answer, please let me know! ;-)

3. impheris

impheris

??

4. akent99

akent99

This thread was helpful for me https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-2021-2-grass-texture.1095385/ . Grass *textures* seem to have been dropped (?). You now have to use meshes (?). But here is an example of a project that I just upgraded to HDRP. There is a house that is gone, some of the grass is now white rectangles (the rest is gone), the lake is gone, the road is gone, all the trees are gone (this was a house in the forest). I can probably get most of it back messing around with textures, but it certainly is not an clean process upgrading to HDRP. (This was the result after applying the HDRP wizard.) Too many custom shaders you have to hand update.

upload_2022-11-19_23-44-1.png

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  5. impheris

impheris

for what i know, those "grass textures" are a legacy thing and unity has a "new" way to handle grass. I don't think is a good idea upgrade from URP or Build-in to HDRP especially with legacy features