Search Unity

Bug Issue loading VFX graph, nodes missing

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by PixelDough, May 26, 2023.

1. PixelDough

PixelDough

I had worked on a prototype that made heavy use of VFX graph last year. I worked on it a couple times, on Unity 2021 and 2022 beta. It was all working great, but this year I opened the project, and the VFX were simply not showing up in scene. I opened the graph, and a ton of nodes seemed to be missing, just completely gone. Groups of nodes now floating aimlessly not connected to anything, which means the right values aren't getting passed into my main blocks, and the system doesn't work. I have always made continual use of source control, so I assumed maybe something had updated that messed something up. I've rolled back to versions that I know were working just fine, and this nodes continue to be missing. I've deleted the library folder and installed from my repo completely fresh in a new location, even installing the various versions of Unity I had used while experimenting with this, and these nodes won't appear.

I've attached the VFX, as well as a screenshot of what the graph looks like right now with missing nodes. As it's been so long since I worked on it, I can't remember what's missing, all I know is I was sampling graphics buffers, and all nodes relating to that seem to be gone...

Was hoping someone with some experience debugging this stuff could look at the VFX file in a text editor and see if they're really gone, or if it's a problem with importing them into Unity that can be fixed

o0TAU4T.png

Attached Files:

2. PixelDough

PixelDough

Update: I've managed to reconstruct what all I was missing, but I do think it could be valuable to myself and to anyone else using VFX Graph who might run into this issue to know if there are any issues in the file or import into Unity. As you can see in the image, the sample node for the buffer was there, but nothing between it and the output.