Search Unity

Issue in Unity 5.6.0b5 "Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite."

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zharko, Jan 28, 2017.

1. zharko

zharko

After I imported my project from 5.5 to 5.6.0b5 I keep getting multiple of these messages: "Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite."
    I re-imported everything in my project but the messages keep coming and they don't point to any specific Sprite when I click on them.
    In the Editor log the lines are as follows:
    Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/2D/Renderer/SpriteRendererJobs.cpp Line: 369)

and this repeats many times

Is this problem with the beta version or did I do something wrong?

2. unitywes

unitywes

Unity Technologies

Hi zharko, I apologise for the late reply. Could you send me a copy of your project? This is a very rare bug.

3. OtakuD

OtakuD

Also had this error, deleting items in the scene during play mode until the error stopped helped me isolate which sprites were causing the error. Imported those again and it fixed itself.

4. JanduSoft

JanduSoft

We are having the same problem with Unity 5.6.0f3 in our project

5. noob101

noob101

I have a similar issue with Unity 5.6.0f3 from 5.5.0f3 project where all my background tiles in a 2d game disappeared.

Note that the failing sprites (tiles ) are the ones from output of the software Tiled Map Editor

- The Sprite sheet that had the problem had its mode changed to Single instead of Multiple and no longer it has individual sprites , but even after fixing that and re-importing the issue remains

-When I re-import the same set of errors appear in the editor for each tile (after changing to multiple)

-This is the repeating error in the editor log

6. gonzorob

gonzorob

Hello,

We are also having the same problem. Sprites are being pulled from an AssetBundle. @unitywes, any idea what this is?

7. GilesDMiddleton

GilesDMiddleton

Just upgraded to 5.6.0f3 today and got the same issue. Not sure how I fix it, god help anyone in a large project.

8. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

Same here. We recently updated from 5.5 to 5.6.0xf and are currently developing a bigger project. This issue produces around 100 yellows per frame! After 10 seconds of ingame testing, I got ~1200 yellows for this issue. And don't make me start with all the "obsolete" scripts stuff. You guys at Unity seriously need to stop changing classes and methods and how the engine handles stuff every other 5.x version.

The image shows what happens after 10 seconds of moving the camera around.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. GilesDMiddleton

GilesDMiddleton

I don't know how I managed it, but it vanished for me. I fixed a compile error in one of my scripts and re-imported my main sprite sheet and the problem vanished. I reported the issue through the bug tracker though - I've seen they are NOT going to fix this issue, but at least they should improve the error messages so that it tells you WHICH resources to re-import/fix.

10. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

I reimported my sprites and textures, noticing the engine now imports the stuff in RGBA DXT5 - it was RGB DXT1 before. The errors have become far less, so this seems to solve it. Strange. Have I skipped something in the patch notes?

EDIT: After reimporting the entire project folder, the problem is gone now.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    GilesDMiddleton likes this.
  11. GilesDMiddleton

GilesDMiddleton

Wouldn't it be nice if this was automagical?

12. gonzorob

gonzorob

Sadly its not that simple for me. My sprites are all in assetbundles - thousands of them - so I'd need to re-crunch everything which could take days. Not worth doing unless its guaranteed to work.

Anyone from Unity (@unitywes perhaps?) know what this is and how it might be fixed ?

13. AlexNanomonx

AlexNanomonx

So we had this issue, but we noticed that we were using the asset bundles of the server which were made in a previous version of Unity. Switching to Simulation Mode or recreating the Assets and re-uploading them fixed this for us.

14. greay

greay

What would be nice is if the warning would tell you which sprite it was talking about.

15. unitywes

unitywes

Unity Technologies

Yes, this issue is caused by the 5.6 changes not meshing well with pre-5.6 asset bundled sprites. This issue has been fixed in 2017.1 and will also be patched for 5.6. Sorry for the slow reply!

16. hsallander

hsallander

Could you provide an issue number or link to an issue in the issue tracker so that we can see when the issue has been patched?

Also, if we (as a workaround until we have the patch) rebuild our asset bundles using 5.6, will these asset bundles work in versions of the app built with pre 5.6 versions of Unity?

17. hsallander

hsallander

I did some tests and it seems that sprites in asset bundles built with 5.6 aren't readable in an app built in 5.5, so that workaround doesn't seem to be an option unfortunately.

@unitywes Can you please share some info about when we can expect to be able to download a 5.6 patch for this?

18. dtaralla

dtaralla

Just popping here to say we are encountering this problem a lot too. We have a build machine here and a remote cache server set up on the same LAN, and each time we switch from standalone to android or the other way around, we get these errors. The only way to fix it is to first disable any cache server, then to "Reimport All"... It's happening since 5.6, any ETA on when it will be fixed? Should we create an issue? It's a real pain for us because we have a large number of assets and reimporting everything takes between 45min to 90min...

19. sylvernaut

sylvernaut

5.6.1f1 and im getting the same error... @unitywes

20. gonzorob

gonzorob

@unitywes any updates on this? It seems that people are still having the same issue

21. gonzorob

gonzorob

I can confirm the sprites now show when loaded from the AssetBundle in latest patch, however the message "Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite." keeps spamming the console killing all performance.

@unitywes can you please give us an update on this ?!

22. Rubakai

Rubakai

Hey I'm having the same issue, did anyone get a fix on this?

23. gonzorob

gonzorob

Unity are ignoring it.

24. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I had that issue too in the 2017.3 version.
    It was due a sprite that was nothing but alpha.
    Recreating it in a bigger size fixed the problem for me.