Search Unity

[ISSUE][1.1.X] AssetGroup identic through versioning project.

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by aurelien-morel-ubiant, Aug 8, 2019.

1. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Hello @unity_bill !
    We found some annoying issues that could not being send with the Unity bug report sadly :/
    I tested it with 1.1.5 and 1.1.7 and it seems to happen even after the update. I prefer to mention it cause you have fix some issue related to that kind of bug when I read your changelog.

Problem 1 :

If you have this Addressables elements on a computer A (the issue happens with "Chair" group but it could happen with anything else) :
    upload_2019-8-8_11-5-45.png

Now take a computer B with "Chair" group create locally.

Computer A will upload those elements on a versioning server (git / svn / ... => Here we use git)
    Computer B will get those elements thought git too.

Now on the computer B, you will have a group with an empty name in Addressables settings window probably due to the fact the name is the same but the guid behind is different :

upload_2019-8-8_11-11-16.png

Problem 2 :

We encountered another issue by retrieving addressable assets modification from git with Addressables Asset window open and it corrupted the addressables setting asset.
    Our modification was to
    - Remove a group on a computer A (trying to fix the issue above)
    - Push it on git server
    - Get this change on Computer B with Addressables window open and it corrupted it during the import process.

To solve this, we have to edit the AddressableAssetSettings file with Notepad++ by removing the corrupted entry :
    upload_2019-8-8_11-37-21.png

which is symbolized by a fileID: 0, if you delete this line manually, the asset will back to normal and everything gonna be fine again.

Quite a long post (sorry), if you need more explanation or details. Feel free to ask cause it could be tricky to understand sometimes (sorry for my english :p)

danilonishimura likes this.
  2. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Tomorrow I can post another related issue due to versionning, addressablessettings and asset group. I'm not at the office right now but we found this just at the end of the day. Basically a part of our assetsettings was displaying none in editor whereas all fileid and guid in asset file was filed.
    But I think its still related to the fact to edit an asset on a distant machine than get it back on another with the previous configuration.

danilonishimura likes this.
  3. unity_bill

unity_bill

We've seen & heard of this issue before, but no one could lock down a repro. Sounds like it's a version control overlap issue. Which sounds very reproducible. So thanks! We'll check it out.

This also makes sense and sounds easy to reproduce.

Much thanks.

4. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Yep I think from your side if you don't have control version.
    You just have to have "Project A" with the base setup. (AddressableSettings / AddressablesGroups)
    Create another project that we could name "Project B" import all the element from "Project A" into it.
    Edit them by removing one group in "Project B" and save them.
    Copy assets modified from "project B" to "project A" and the issue must happens I think.

P.S : I didn't try it but I suppose it must.

5. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

@unity_bill as a temprorary fix, we figure out we can reboot our computer and all the references set to None but with a file/guid filled previous reboot seems to be ok in Editor after.
    Have you any kind of caching session somewhere for the addressables ? :rolleyes: