Search Unity

IsPartOfPrefabAsset/IsPartOfPrefabContents

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by SentientSkull, Oct 14, 2020.

1. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

I'm trying to use 'IsPartOfPrefabAsset' in a method called from Awake(). I was expecting this to return 'true' when called from a prefab asset that is loaded in the editor (staged), but it returns 'false'. However it does return 'true' if called from OnValidate(). How can I tell when a prefab asset is being edited?

I need this (or some way to know) because I'm generating a unique id string in 'Awake' for scene objects in edit mode and adding them to a serializable list, but I don't want this to happen when editing the prefab.

I found 'PrefabStage.IsPartOfPrefabContents', but this is only in Unity 2020.2 (I'm using 2020.1.8). So is there some other way to detect this state?

2. runevision

runevision

3. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

If I try to add 'PrefabStage.IsPartOfPrefabContents', Visual Studio gives me 'CS0117: PrefabStage' does not contain a definition for 'IsPartOfPrefabContents'. I'm now in 2020.1.9.

I think when I had searched for it, I got the page for 2020.2 and saw the 'Experimental' note and assumed it was new in 2020.2.

Edit: For some reason Intellisense won't show 'IsPartOfPrefabContents', but typing it out works now (maybe I had a typo before when it was giving the error).

Edit 2: Now VS gives me an error saying 'CS0120: An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'PrefabStage.IsPartOfPrefabContents(gameObject)' when I try to use it like this:

if (PrefabStage.IsPartOfPrefabContents(gameObject))

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  4. runevision

runevision

Does it give compile errors in the Unity Console window? I can't assist with compile errors that only Visual Studio produce that are not aligned with Unity's own compilation.

5. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

Yes, the error also shows in Unity's console.

6. runevision

runevision

Just to check, you are using the namespace PrefabStage is in?
    UnityEditor.Experimental.SceneManagement

7. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

Yes, that's definitely there. I also started a new project just to test and get the same issue.
    I'm just trying to pass gameObject from the script. Not sure what I might be doing wrong.

I found that using

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (gameObject.scene != SceneManager.GetActiveScene())
    seems to work, but not sure if it might cause problems in other situations.

8. runevision

runevision

Ah sorry, IsPartOfPrefabContents needs to be called on the current Prefab stage, it's not a static method.

This should work:
    if (PrefabStageUtility.GetCurrentPrefabStage().IsPartOfPrefabContents(gameObject))

9. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

Thanks, this works. But in the way I'm using it, I had to check if the PrefabStage is not null or I get null reference exception.

Code (CSharp):
    1. var prefabStage = PrefabStageUtility.GetCurrentPrefabStage();
    2. if (prefabStage)
    3.     return;

10. egor-7355

egor-7355

Just to combine everything together, this is the code that will check if 'yourGameObject' is a part of currently open Prefab scene:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var prefabStage = PrefabStageUtility.GetCurrentPrefabStage ();
    2. if (prefabStage != null && prefabStage.IsPartOfPrefabContents(yourGameObject))
    3.     return;

Don't forget to put this at the top of the file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor.SceneManagement;