Search Unity

Isometric tile maps

Discussion in '2D' started by Retro420, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Retro420

Retro420

Hello.
    I am using Unity 2019.4.17f1.

I am starting a very simple isometric project. I have sprites for the tiles and everything seems to be working fine. I have created a base tilemap for the background and have created a second map which will eventually have a collider on it for the world obstacles. The problem is I cant get any height.

I have modular sprites so I can put them together to make different size buildings, so I want them to stack and be in front of the base background layer.
    I cant get them to stack. I have tried both iso X as Y and normal iso, they both reacted the same to the tiles.
    I cant do anything with the Z position on the default brush. If i change the value, then when I move over to my scene the tile image dissapears. I can see a discrepancy in the highlighted edges that accompany the mouse cursor but there is no sprite. I have tried changing my anchor points, I have changed scale etc, i have it set to individual as well instead of chunk mode.
    If I dont change the Z value on the brush then the 2ns tile - that should be the next floor up for the building - will either replace the first tile or sit behind the first tile.

I have spent all day trying to sort this, hopefully I have explained it well enough, and am grateful if anyone can help with this.

Thanks.

2. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Retro420 likes this.
  3. Retro420

Retro420

thanks for the reply.
    I actually used both of those tutorials before I asked here, and i was still stuck.
    Im pretty sure I have figured it out now, everything seems to be going ok thankfully.
    I appreciate the reply though, thank you.