Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Isometric tile map help

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by clammy2017, Sep 27, 2018.

1. clammy2017

clammy2017

Hi,

Im playing with the new isometric tile map stuff.. And I have a fair few issues with it, but Im not sure if it's bugs (due to its unfinished state), or my user error.

First things first - Is there any tutorial/documentation on how to use it anywhere? I failed at finding any, so a lot of my questions may be answered there. I understand this is still in Beta, There's just loads of things I want to try out with it :)

So...

1. Is there a way to "raise" a tile? So that, if (for example) I have a slope tile - I can make the slope higher by raising the tile next to it). Or maybe I have a tile (like a tree) made out of two tiles?

2. I had major problems importing tile sheets, and the edit button didn't work on said tile sheet. I eventually got there by just sheer brute force of playing with pixel size, etc etc.

3. "drawing" areas with the rectangle feature felt clunky

4. How does collision work?

5. How do I place a tile on top of another tile (eg, put a tree on a grass tile, etc)

6. Any ideas on how to access these grids from script, so I can fill them in programmatically?

With ALL these things, Im wondering if its me being an idiot and not understanding it well enough, etc.

2. zulfajuniadi

zulfajuniadi

1. You can raise or lower a tile by using the + & - key. You can also rotate a tile using the [ and ] keys. You might need to set the camera transparency sort mode to custom and use (0,1,0) for the axis inside the graphics settings.
    2. Not sure what would cause this. There are times when I had to click more than once to pick a tile from the palette. Especially after a recompile.
    3. I agree :p
    4. I've yet to test collisions but I guess it should be the same as a normal 2D top-down tilemap based game.
    5. You can create mulitple tilemaps, one on top of another. Bottom one for the terrain, and the upper one for the trees.
    6. Yep filling them is pretty straight forward.

Certainly not an idiot. It's a new feature and there's not much tutorials around to learn it (especially the raising and lowering terrains).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    clammy2017 likes this.
  3. clammy2017

clammy2017

I feel like such an idiot for not trying + & -!

I tried pg up/pg dn/etc :D

thank you.. i'll have a bit more of a play

zulfajuniadi likes this.
  4. clammy2017

clammy2017

EDIT: Figured it out - for height to work, need to make tilemap "isometric, z as y"

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    zulfajuniadi likes this.
  5. nsadw42

nsadw42