Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Isometric 2d seamless open world scene streaming

Discussion in '2D' started by Lwynn, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Lwynn

Lwynn

Hi,

I've been wanting to create an open world isometric game for mobile for a while now. The main problem I forsee is how I would go about seamlessly streaming the world. I noticed that with unity pro you can additively asynchronously load scenes. I am definitely too poor for unity pro. I was thinking of a solution that involved storing tiles in a 2d array but how I'd implement that in unity is confusing me and my internet searching has found a mixture of amazing presentations related to 3d seamless world streaming which has some nice ideas but is really overkill for what I want, and threads involving people wanting to create the next GTA. Has anyone tackled this problem before or any tips for a simple solution that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance

2. blu3drag0n

blu3drag0n

Have you read any basics in regards of isometric tiles and the math behind ?
    Because - no offense - it doesnt sound like you did.

Storing all the information in an array is the most basic part of your hugh project, so if you have trouble imaginating how to do it this might be too much for instance.

Maybe you try with something smaller and prepare some isometric tile prototype project, with some basic features and aferwards we can talk about how to load more content on demand outside the bounds of your then existing stuff.

How does that sound for you?