Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Isolation Mode

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Carpe-Denius, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Do you plan on connecting Isolation Mode to that fancy look dev window? It would be easier to determine which materials have to be changed and such.

2. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I was also wondering if you can customize the isolation mode, like change the skybox/lighting?

3. SophiaC

SophiaC

You can! Go to Project Settings -> Editor, and you'll see a section 'Prefab Editing Environments'. Drag a scene file to the 'Regular environment' field, and now this is the scene you'll see when in prefab mode :)

4. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

WTF

Edit:
    what I wanted to say is: did you think of everything in this? A hundred years of "no nested prefabs" and then: "wooosh, here's everything you'll ever want"?

runevision and cirocontinisio like this.
  5. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Wow! That's awesome!

6. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

enable isolation model for regular objects! please! like select an object in scene, right click isolate.. like pretty much in every 3d package.

7. Baste

Baste

That's a really, really good idea!

8. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

This is one on the asset store
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/isolate-selected-in-editor-57758

But it's not updated. I wish Unity would make an "isolate scene object" tool, officially.

And @SophiaC if possible, pls pls pls we need:

> The ability to FREEZE objects from selection. So we can see it, but we can't select it.

9. runevision

runevision

There is a feature somewhat like this in development by a different team. It's not related to Prefabs.

10. Baste

Baste

It's actually available to check out if you download the 2019.1 alpha! Thread is here.

runevision likes this.
  11. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Awesome!! Can't wait to learn more. :)

@Baste This is awesome. Thanks so much for the link share!

12. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok that is good to hear! This kind of stuff should not take sOOOooOO long to implement. I also miss pretty obvious functionality that is to have selection sets (nameable), where we can add and remove objects. (actual selection sets its pretty poor). There was a tool on the store but is no longer mantained, it was SUPER usefull. Like you would create selection sets, like "crates" or "orange cones" or whatever you like and you could add remove objects, etc.. this combined with the isolation will allow for smoother workflow, again, like pretty much every major 3d package allows

13. Babytuk

Babytuk

you can press shift + h to isolate on an object with it's children for example :) press shift + h again to leave the isolation mode. was that what you were referring to?

14. jason_yak

jason_yak

I've been trying to use this isolation mode, but it's not working. Tried two keyboards (I'm on mac, haven't edited any shortcuts), if I hit shift + H it doesn't act any different to just hitting H. It never enters isolation, just hides and shows a selected object. Any ideas, I checked the docs, not working. I'm on Unity 2021.3.9.

15. jason_yak

jason_yak

I found the shortcut and was no conflicts, but when I try and reassign it, the short cut editor won't recognise that I'm typing shift +h, or other alternatives either like alt +h, I type that in and it just thinks I'm typing a H. Capital H is clearly working for all other apps?! odd.

16. jason_yak

jason_yak

If anyones is reading, reapplying the default shortcuts has fixed it, but weirdly I didn't have a custom set of shortcuts beforehand. I simply made any edit so it created a Default copy preset, but then set it back to Default and all of a sudden the isolation mode works now?!

17. paulygons

paulygons

Thank you @Babytuk! Shift-H works as an "isolation mode" for me, hiding the objects that are not selected. Made my day. I'm not sure how long that has been available, but I'm embarrassed to have only now learned this feature. Clicking each eyeball icon in the hierarchy window was not going to work.