Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

!IsNormalized (normal) : What this error mean? (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Neodrop, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Neodrop

Neodrop

!IsNormalized (normal) : What this error mean? This error happend in Editor Mode. Not, during Run Mode.

Attached Files:

2. Neodrop

Neodrop

The Console window show nothing more.

Attached Files:

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Do a forum search for !IsNormalized and you'll find a number of threads on the topic. In general it's a bug that you get this nebulous error so we'd appreciate a bug report on it once you've sorted out the offending line. But instead of regurgitating prior threads, do a quick search and look through the prior discussions to see if any ring true in your case.

If that fails, can you pare down the code to find what's triggering the error and then post that?

4. Neodrop

Neodrop

If I could find the reason in a code, I would not ask here. Search in a forum is my hobby, but not always the result pays back the expectations.
    I'm sorry, I lost the moment when this happend. But now this error appears constantly. All time in a Editor mode and in a playing mode. But the exported composition works normally.
    My 3D model is very unoptimased for Unity. Whether it is possible, what a problem is in a model? But after all before this error was not happend.
    Hmm. :( I am embarrassed.

5. Neodrop

Neodrop

:!:

Assert in file .../Runtime/Geometry/Plane.h at line: 84
    Assert in file .../Runtime/Geometry/Plane.h at line: 56

:?:

6. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

I have had this too. I don't remember how I got rid of it exactly, but IIRC it had something to do with shadows, and a flat plane. maybe change the plane to a box? or turn the shadows of (not really nice solution :) ). anyway, that should hopefully give you some direction to go searching in.

Bye, Lucas

7. Neodrop

Neodrop

Thanks for reply, But in my work I have no shadow.

8. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

If you can rule out that an error is caused by your own code and thus determine that it must be a unity bug, use the bug reporter to report it immediately and attach a sample project demonstrating the issue.

Otherwise the bugs are less likely to be fixed quickly and generally just posting a bug on the forums in best DoesNotWorks! style doesn't solve anything.

Use the bug reporter.

9. Frieza

Frieza

I've only had this error when abusing the engine a bit with light sources :)

One way to consistently get this error is to create a point light with a gigantic range (we're talking in the range of several millions).

No idea if that is related to this chaps issue though.

Are you setting anything to have gigantic range?

10. Neodrop

Neodrop

No. My single light have just 4000 range.

11. Neodrop

Neodrop

I have found an error.
    The error arose that the Lens Flare effect has been applied to the Spot Light.
    I have changed light source type on the Point, but have changed nothing. Then I have removed and have anew added Lens Flare component and this error is disappeared. :roll:

Thank to Frieza for a "point of view". 8)

12. Agilis

Agilis

Just turn off "Cast Shadows" in "Mesh Render" of the objects that cause this problem.

13. Temponautix

Temponautix

Indeed. I just found out you can't use spotlights, with or without flares, and I'm using 3.1 f5. Maybe it's better in the Pro version? But it looks as if Neodrop had the issue WITH Pro, in 2008 ?!? In any case, this shouldn't throw assertions, and certainly not after all these updates, period. Sorry, but this is pretty lame. As a brand new user trying out a version numbered 3.1, I shouldn't run into assertions within a few hours of use. That's for alpha, especially if the assertion has been around for that long.

14. SirKline

SirKline

We had the problem with a spotlight set at range of 0, but this thread helped us to nail it down! Thanks Neodrop.

15. dajyareo

dajyareo

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this issue still shows up in unity 4.6.1. I have no idea what caused it, but I was able to 'fix' it by moving a generic object that was below my terrain, above it. The console would spam that error when I zoomed in close to the terrain.. (or maybe closer to that object?) but now moving that object back to its original position no longer repros the error.. I've filed a bug report, but I have no idea what caused it or fixed it..

sampenguin likes this.
  16. sampenguin

sampenguin

Also seeing this in 5.0.1. There is no terrain in my scene (afaik!). Turning off a directional light stops it... hmm.

UPDATE WITH FIX: So it wasn't the light, it was the camera (and its interaction with lights in some fashion apparently). The camera is perspective projection, and its near clipping plane was being dynamically set to very small values (0.00001). Bringing this up to 0.01 fixed it.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  17. rainboww

rainboww

sadly no one cared to fix it in 8 years its still in v 5.5