Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is XCode 9 beta support coming soon?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by poshaughnessey, Jun 28, 2017.

1. poshaughnessey

poshaughnessey

We are working on an ARKit implementation, and would like to be able to build it using cloud build, but cloud build doesn't yet support XCode 9 beta. Are there any plans to add XCode 9 beta anytime soon?

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

No. Typically Unity Cloud Build does not support Xcode betas as too much can change and ends up being a ton of overhead reacting to said changes.

3. poshaughnessey

poshaughnessey

Okay - thanks for the prompt response, @dannyd

4. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

Hello, Now that it's off Beta, are there any plans to add XCode 9 beta anytime soon?

macdude2 likes this.
  5. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Support for Xcode 9.0.0 will be coming soon. Hopefully this week if everything goes well in testing.

6. kovr-aaron

kovr-aaron

You are my hero. =)

7. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

8. chriscgogii

chriscgogii

yeah this is pretty needed, iOS 11 is now released and the xCode 8.3 that CloudBuild uses cant make builds compatible with it.

9. Xype

Xype

I say don't blame Unity, blame IOS for not letting you use whatever.

10. chriscgogii

chriscgogii

yeah apple is a dick about things like this, but either way i need it to work again if i want to get any work done.

11. Xype

Xype

Android isn't much better if it makes you feel better... They go oh yeah here unity here is a kit, nope wait lets break it, yeah jetbrains your editor is great, nope we got our own now lets fight with ya.... At least IOS sticks to its guns about it.

And worse with android no 2 phones work the same so you are fighting with hardware like its a microsoft computer, I tossed the towel in on android long ago.

12. chriscgogii

chriscgogii

@Xype i have had far less problems with android, and the ones i do are mostly performance and dealing with weird aspect ratios since there is so many different hardware configurations. Vs with apple, even just getting builds onto your clients devices and provisioning profiles is a pain in the ass, and just dealing with updates to xcode and iOS is a pain in the ass.

Also android studio is more or less just Intellij IDEA with plugins for android dev. You can still use intellij if you want

13. brklemz

brklemz

I tried Xcode 9 and iOS 11, like many others I suspect, and I can no longer load or test apps on my iPhone (iOS 11). The phone always looks "busy" so my app will not load or run. I should note that nothing is running on my iPhone and it is unlocked and iTunes can access everything on it. This app loaded and ran on the last versions, but now, nothing. See attached screen grab for error message. REALLY looking forward to a fix, stuck.

Attached Files:

14. Didanix

Didanix

Unity builds work just fine in iOS 11/Xcode 9, and it's only cloud build that's affected here.
    In your case the issue is that Xcode is copying crash logs from your device and symbolicating them. If you don't plug in your phone that often, then it'll take longer since it most likely has more logs to go through. Just wait it out and it'll let you continue afterwards. You can go to Xcode -> Devices, click on your device and it'll show you if it's copying data or not.

As a side note, Xcode 9 now allows you to run & debug over wifi, but you do need to initially connect with a cable and go to Xcode -> Devices and tick the box that mentions remote deployment.

15. BrentMcF

BrentMcF

Any update on the status of Xcode 9 support in Cloud Build?

16. Oniride

Oniride

Bump for the update. We really need CloudBuild for ARKIT. Thanks

17. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the delay everyone - Xcode 9 support is now live!

You may notice the logs look a bit different now when using Xcode 9 as we have switched to using fastlane for building the xcode project (will be posting a longer update about that soon).

18. mmortall

mmortall

Thanks. But it works only for Unity 2017. Could you implement it for 5.6 also?

19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

xcode 9 work with unity 5.6p4 right?

20. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Just enabled Xcode 9 in UCB for all releases of Unity 5.5.4 / 5.6.2 / 5.6.3 as well.

mmortall likes this.