Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is what Tafi is Doing legal??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeidreReay, Mar 20, 2021.

1. DeidreReay

DeidreReay

So basically on the asset store there is an artist TAFI. Basically is taking DAZ3d Content (assuming not made by him) reducing polygon counts and reselling them on the asset store?? I mean seriously easily done but Daz3d requires and interactive license for one, and as I scroll through that there as with most assets DOES NOT give permission to resell ?? So here I will paste some links for you to see and seriously... It seems almost everything Tafi is selling is a Flip.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/clothing/osher-hair-male-from-tafi-186971#releases

https://www.daz3d.com/osher-hair-for-genesis-3-8-male-s

ina likes this.
  2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

If you think it is a flip and you want to report it I think the approach is to contact Daz3D.

It can hurt to talk to Unity Asset Store to, but I think they will just say "The copyright owner has to raise the issue"

I note that I really don't like the approach: potentially many Unity users are being negatively impacted due to Unity's lack of due dilligence. Users expose themselves to risk by trusting Unity. But I guess it is simpler for Unity and the T&Cs make sure Unity's protected themselves from liability. Bleh!

----

This also may not be a flip. I'm only commenting on process.

hippocoder, Moonjump and Socrates like this.
  3. hopeful

hopeful

TAFI is run by DAZ people.

4. DeidreReay

DeidreReay

So Tafi is run by some daz people? well then that makes things a bit different. Do you have a link or something talkign about that? Just ran into it and seemed a bit confusing, but if it is a group of the Daz creators guessing it would be all good.

5. They have a tendency having stupid (sorry about it, there is no better word to describe what they are doing repeatedly) marketing and separation of businesses. They did the same with Daz3D and Morph3D. There was a time when everyone thought that Morph3D is a pirate and redistribute Daz content without their knowledge...

BTW, judging based what they did in the Morph3D times, I would avoid their products like crazy. It was an abysmal service with full of bugs and very little intention to fix them.

You can find clues though over the internet, but not too many:
    https://www.maketafi.com/daz3d
    https://twitter.com/maketafi/status/1373009663747256320
    https://utahbusiness.com/reality-revolution-virtual-reality-ready-take-utahns-new-landscapes/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2021
    lmbarns, wetcircuit and hopeful like this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

7. hopeful

hopeful

I would suggest going through the package list with a fine comb before purchasing any of their products. Also, buy one item first to see if it matches the quality you believe you should be getting.

8. vertexx

vertexx

Gulp. Got one of those.
    Have used "Poser" so know a little about "Daz" and their characters.
    Must say that although the character/s come out ok there is a ton of manual clicking required to bring in the morphs.
    Quality wise not bad but nothing special. The usual under-arm pinching the Poser software and the like are known for!
    Could have done so much better and made life much more easier if essential common morphs had been added to appropriate places instead of multiple choices of badly named points that require head scratching to interpret.
    For those familiar with the Poser/Daz stuff these characters will be familiar and you will know what I mean. They look like Daz/Poser which is great for those who want that look! Just very over complicated to get the results you might want.
    That's my two cents worth. Other more experienced folk have probably done better than me.

Socrates likes this.
  9. When did you try last time? They have a bridge for Unity now: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-to-unity-bridge
    It supposed to be simple to bring in Daz content.

lmbarns likes this.
  10. vertexx

vertexx

I've had many variants of Poser and Daz over the years. The reason I even tried Unity was to get away from those two.
    I found the characters to have that "sameness" about them and are so very easily recognized as coming from either Daz or Poser. Just check out a Renderosity gallery.
    Sorry for the rant but Unity developers seem decades ahead of these two and it shows in the individual personalities that Unity Devs seem to..um..develop.
    But having said that :))) for Poser/daz users the possibility of bringing their characters to Unity will be a pleasant surprise. Glad to know it's not illegal! Thanks Lurking-Ninja for the link.

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What I find really interesting, is these assets are being distributed under the standard Unity Asset Store license. It doesn't appear you're agreeing to any Daz3D licensing.

lmbarns and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  12. hopeful

hopeful

It's not DAZ. It's stripped down for Unity, like what they did with Morph3D.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  13. Harekelas

Harekelas

Their bridge does almost nothing, the Daz model is not optimized for games, it uses too many materials than it needs, and all hair related stuff is too tris heavy to use in a game. Only the base model is good to use, but they don't offer a good unity shader for the skin, eyes and hair.
    I've concluded my own workflow to use base character models from Daz and edit them in Blender to optimize the materials down to 4 mats per character. And use Character Creator 3's newest hair/eyebrow/beard models (which has very good quality with reasonable poly counts).
    I use URP in unity so I converted the Daz provided material to fit into Lux's skin shader, which has quite good quality. And made a simpler character managing system similar to UMA without runtime mesh assembling.
    I got far better results than tafi's assets, so I don't know the purpose to buy any tafi's assets and using their system.

14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

daz models are designed for offline rendering.

You could use them in a game but its not optimized for that. If you need optimized models you'll have to redo the UV's and rebake the materials. For a quick artist who knows what they are doing thats like 30 minutes per character. Not a huge workload if you need the characters.

15. sxa

sxa

Interestingly, they're now describing Daz3D as a subsidiary of Tafi.

Dont know what that means for their replacement of MCS (which felt like more of a 'generic character' tool ) with 'Tafi' as pretty much a shovelling of quite specific individual 'content' assets onto the store, much more like the actual Daz3d stuff.