Search Unity

Is WebGL caching broken?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Dabeh, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Dabeh

Dabeh

Hey,

When I first load the app, on incognito, it works fine. Second load, however, I get this:

PlatformGetStacktrace
    UnityLoader.js:4 Exception encountered in operation Resource<TextAsset>(exptablebaseconfig.txt):

Nothing changes in the path, this is hard-coded in. Just running it twice breaks it. After getting rid of any cache etc, it works fine until it's restarted and then it's broken again. This happens for all assets that try to get grabbed.

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

In the group settings, there's an option for "use asset bundle cache". Try turning that off and let me know if that "fixes" the problem. I'm guessing something is going weird with caching in a browser.

3. Dabeh

Dabeh

Yep, this was the fix I did when making this post(ofcourse, no more cache as a result) and the build started working fine afterwards. A bit unfortunate! Caching is important for WebGL ;)

unity_bill likes this.
  4. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

Just wanted to check to see if there were any updates on this caching issue for WebGL builds? Disabling asset bundle cache fixed it for us too, but would be ideal to be able to keep caching enabled.

5. LorenzoNuvoletta

LorenzoNuvoletta

Resuming an old one, was this ever fixed?
    UnityWebRequestAssetBundle.GetAssetBundle(url, version, 0); seems to ignore newer versions and always loads the old cache on WebGL.

6. pillakirsten

pillakirsten

Unity Technologies

7. LorenzoNuvoletta

LorenzoNuvoletta

Thanks, I am using 2022.1.7 and the WebGL cache is not great on Chrome. Is there a way to manually read the version number of the cached assetbundle and invalidate them? The class "Caching" doesn't work on WebGL.

8. pillakirsten

pillakirsten

Unity Technologies

I'm not personally sure, the WebGL forum would be a better place to ask. I did find some manual docs though that would be a good start https://docs.unity3d.com/2022.2/Documentation/Manual/webgl-caching.html

As you can imagine, this is a completely new cache system for WebGL. The "Caching" API is associated with the old system.