Search Unity

Is/was there a truly off-topic subforum?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by alexanderameye, Aug 19, 2017.

1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

This might have been asked before, but is there somewhere on this forum a place where people can discuss off-topic things? There is the general discussion but that's still limited to Unity-related topics. I think it would be nice to have a place where I can discuss things that are not related to Unity or game development.
    Thoughts?

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

I don't think they want such a forum here. They've repeatedly reasoned about closed offtopic threads that there's a million forums to talk about stuff like that and only a few forums to talk about Unity, so we're supposted to at least stay gamedev relevant.

alexanderameye likes this.
  3. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Hey! @alexanderameye, currently we do not have a space that we encourage users to post non-development, non-Unity related topics.

I would like to find more reasons for users to come here aside from technical support, and that could be a good step forward. If we ever open a space similar to that we will announce it.

4. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Alright great! I don't have too many reasons to be honest. I get the point that there are other forums on the internet where you can discuss off-topic items, but I think it would just be interesting to have some non-Unity-related discussions with this community in particular, and I can't find that same experience on another forum since the communities are not the same.

An off-topic forum might not always do good to this community though. We had a discussion about if some words should be used or not a few weeks back and that created some division, although I'm sure it's not a permanent division because we're all buddies here :)

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Most forums have a fully off topic space and overall I prefer to not have one. Off topic threads often stir up a lot of contention and clutter things up.

alexanderameye likes this.