Search Unity

Is Visual Studio more good Monodevelop?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by leegod, Jan 8, 2015.

1. leegod

leegod

I am using monodevelop, but if VS is more good, I have interest of moving on.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Try it and see. You are not forced to use it if you want to go back.

3. mweldon

mweldon

Yes, in my opinion VS is very much more good a lot!

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

Visual Studio Express is free. Go download it and try it and decide for yourself.

I personally prefer it, I have an MSDN subscription and use the Ultimate version of it, it works nicely. If you want to use Unity with it you NEED the 'Visual Studio for Unity':
    https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20b80b8c-659b-45ef-96c1-437828fe7cf2

MonoDevelop is nice as well, I just don't like some of the standards it has by default, where as I prefer the VS defaults. But really... that's just personal preference.

5. Jessy

Jessy

It's not so simple. Visual Studio is more good, but Windows is most bad. I've gone with "use MonoDevelop until Visual Studio is on OS X."

BenZed likes this.
  6. TonyLi

TonyLi

In some cases, Visual Studio generates code more good MonoDevelop, resulting in fewer memory allocations. (Read through the comments on Wendelin Reich's memory management articles.)

You don't have to use Visual Studio Express. If you're a small developer, you can use the full Visual Studio Community 2013 suite for free. Add in Tools for Unity (see lordofduct's link above) and you have a pretty good development environment, as long as you don't mind Windows.

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The only thing I don't like about monodevelop [on windows] is the way it throws indents all over the place when you're making if statements. That being said, monodevelop is <200mb and visual studio is >1gb. Hard drive space isn't really a problem but I prefer smaller applications for tasks marginally more difficult than text editing :p

8. lordofduct

lordofduct

Oh nice, I didn't know MS released that. I will be letting people know that from now on.

9. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Sign up for Microsoft's Bizspark program and you'll get all versions of Visual Studio and just about every other Microsoft product for free for a few years.