Search Unity

Is VFX graph always better than the particle system ?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by VincentAbert, Nov 12, 2020.

1. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Hello everyone !
    I'm working a bit on some VFX, and when building basic particle effects, I'm wondering whether I should always go for VFX graph (provided there is no need for collision) no matter how few the particles, or if there's a cost to it that makes it bad for simpler systems...
    Cheers !

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @VincentAbert ,

Currently the built-in Particle System has less of an overhead when instantiated multiple times, so if you want to have many instances of small effects, it might be the better option at the moment.

That being said, you can also use the VFX Graph as a master effect orchestrating all the smaller effects, meaning you can have one large VFX Graph effect and via script sent events to trigger particles of that effect at the desired position with any optional parameters (different color, velocity, etc.)

An example of this is explained with the optimization of the shooting system in the FPS Sample project documented in this blog.

Hope this helps!

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

I looked into this some months ago, to decide whether it made sense to keep my existing shuriken particle systems for lower end hardware:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/sho...icles-for-lower-end-gpu-bound-systems.892072/
    The main result was that Shuriken can definitely outperform VFX graphs in cases where the player doesn't have a good GPU. I ended up implementing a toggle in my game to allow players to switch between using VFX or Shuriken for particles. That's a fair bit of extra work, but I found that having some simple shuriken systems for low-end hardware performed better than using VFX graph in those cases.

4. RamType0

RamType0

mandisaw and richardkettlewell like this.
  5. Korindian

Korindian

When you say "at the moment", do you mean that there will be less of an overhead for VFX Graphs in the near future possibly? Thanks.

luter95 likes this.
  6. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Yes we plan on optimizing CPU usage and scalability with lots of VFX components by adding "VFX instancing" in 2021

Roy-Hu, NotaNaN, Kirsche and 2 others like this.
  7. BobFlame

BobFlame

What about persistant effect, such as missile/thruster flame, which need to be synced transform in local space. Does vfx have a better (or worse) performance of maintaining/interating (not only instantiate) through many small effects?

8. Shizola

Shizola

Is there any progress on VFX instancing?

9. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

VFX instancing is currently being actively developped. However target version is 2022 not 2021 as I stated in my previous message

Vincent454, Roy-Hu and Shizola like this.
  10. Justin-Wasilenko

Justin-Wasilenko

Hi @JulienF_Unity Can we expect VFX Instancing to support mobile android devices like Oculus Quest 2, or will it be limited to high end graphics?
    To that end, is Particle System the system of choice to use when developing for Quest 2 or should we be looking into switching over to VFX graph for future projects?

KingKRoecks, N8W1nD and Foxician like this.
  11. Innovine

Innovine

Bump. What is the status of the quest 2 support`?

SolarFalcon and Shizola like this.