Search Unity

IS URP mobile production ready?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by jGate99, Apr 1, 2020.

1. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,

Im going to start a new project that ill be launching with Unity 2019.3/4 and want to know if URP is production ready for mobile? Is any one actually used it to deliver mobile games? My game is purely UGUI driven as its a 2D Game.

Please advise
    Thanks

2. o1o101

o1o101

Not yet in my opinion, but if you are okay with fighting with it a bit, then it should be fine.

If you do switch, make sure you research which features are / are not supported... for example SpeedTree is meant to be supported but it’s completely broken & they won’t acknowledge it, I understand it might not be priority for them, but you will run into various smaller things similar to this that will take forever to get fixed & can interfere with development.

hertz-rat likes this.
  3. FranFndz

FranFndz

hertz-rat likes this.
  4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I'm using URP in production on mobile. I'm yet to release my game but it should be out in about a month. it'll be interesting to see how stable the build is in the wild vs my other games that don't use URP.

Capture4.PNG

Rodakai and Sami_AlEsh like this.
  5. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

I'm curious about this. Do you have a bug report about this that I can take a look at?
    If not, can you make one for me?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    soleron and o1o101 like this.
  6. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

From my experience (Im use HDRP/URP/LWRP since release) now its pretty stable and sometime better that built-in render pipeline (in performance case case). And right now i'm porting few big games to HDRP and URP almost without problems. Glad that developers of HDRP/URP do bug fixes pretty fast ( update 1-2 time per month ).
    So I can say that its production ready, but still you will have to fight with few problems.

hertz-rat likes this.
  7. headlessstudio

headlessstudio

We just finished a major project tailored to run on iPad Pro (iOS) and URP behaved pretty well this time. We had a similar project a year ago and tried to do it with LWRP but had to revert back to Standard because LWRP wasn't there for mobile yet but I feel URP is good to go.

2020-04-02 11_46_03.jpg

8. jGate99

jGate99

Thank you all for your reply.

Please do note that i'm making a pure 2D game using uGUI Canvas. There is nothing 3D in it.
    But i want to use URP for performance reasons.

9. o1o101

o1o101

Thanks!! Happy for this to be acknowledged. You can find more details here including someone who already made a bug report.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/speedtree-8-shaders.829263/#post-5499460
    **The bug report description isn’t accurate, there seems to be quite a few issues with the shaders in general, I’ll quickly outline the ones I saw.
    1. Double sided geometry has flipped normals which is not always wanted, an option for this would be sweet, as SpeedTree has an option for this in their editor.( I also think not flipping normals on backsides is more performant, not sure though)
    2. Trees do not receive ambient light
    3. Billboards do not render their direction correctly, or receive ambient light.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Elvar_Orn likes this.
  10. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

@deverolirc
    Just to keep you and others updated, I'm still working on this and will do my best to push for these fixes. Can't promise when they'll arrive but I will do my best to make sure that you don't have to wait too long.

matzomat, soleron and hertz-rat like this.
  11. o1o101

o1o101

Thank you so much, really appreciate this!! :)

12. o1o101

o1o101

Hey, sorry to pry, is there any sort of ETA for this?

All the best

13. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Heyhey,
    Still working on it.
    There's a planned meeting with the Terrain team this week where I'll put some focus on this issue plus some others.

14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Can you also ask for an update on supporting wacom pen pressure on the terrain painting operarions by default?

soleron and Meceka like this.
  15. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Oh, terrain team will do URP simple Terrain material that will use diffuse + normals only with simple blending? Cuz right now terrain material in URP non optimized and has wrong render queue (From far to close, but should be from close to far).
    In standart render pipeline you has terrain(pc) and diffuse terrain shaders( mobile).

That would be great for mobile and Oculus Quest VR

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  16. Meceka

Meceka

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  17. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Didn't have to wait for the meeting to get info about that.

It's being worked on for environment as part of the new painting system but nothing planned at the moment for bringing that to the built-in terrain.

soleron and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks, What is the difference between build in terrain and the new painting system?

If I can do all the painting in the new painting system and export the results the built-in terrain, thats also good.
    If not then I would like to request it to be added to the standard terrain.

19. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

I believe you can find more detail about it here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/create-landscapes-and-terrain-faster.863557/

I also suggest asking more Terrain related questions in that thread or in the world building forum as they are much more knowledgeable and better equipped to answer questions about that system and terrain in general than I.
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/world-building.146/

soleron and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great Thanks

21. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Tried to convert 2 projects to URP, and performance on mobile was horrible.
    It's horrible even on an empty project.

22. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Could you be a little bit more specific?

If you're experiencing worse performance on URP compared to built in then we consider that a bug and would really like you to file a bug report so we can take a look and fix any issues.

soleron likes this.
  23. o1o101

o1o101

Speaking of terrain stuff, the default URP terrain shader renders way to bright on iOS with incorrect lighting.

24. o1o101

o1o101

I have been turning off the SRP batcher on iOS, with it on my cpu usage spikes to over 20ms "wait for target FPS" (even though VSync, etc is disabled, & FPS is capped at 60) and with SRP batcher off my CPU usage stays steady at 16.7 over any period of time.

25. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I've replied in another thread, but I'll mention this here as well: https://forum.unity.com/threads/per...ions-of-unity-post-processing-and-srp.786944/
    This thread has several replies from developers and can shed some lights on current state of URP performance and what to expect in the near future.

26. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Is it better to hold off on URP? A couple of posts floating around that making me really nervous switching my project over. I don’t mind waiting but I don’t have the bandwidth to debug lower level issues.

27. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

i would say if your project is going fine and you don’t need any features from URP then there’s no need to switch.

i only chose URP because I started a new project with it but i still wouldn’t update any old projects to it.

i will add that eventually i will update older projects to it as it has improved a lot but like you I’m a solo dev and don’t have the bandwidth to figure out new solutions to old problems at this time

soleron likes this.
  28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't think terrain ever is a good idea for Quest. Because it touches on too many intermediate buffers and Quest is just too strapped for that kind of stuff. If you can dodge it by using great mesh pieces that lod, you really should. 4 splats is also just not sane for Quest. It's fine for a mobile title but a mobile title isn't required to achieve 1440 × 1600 per eye at 72 frames per second without fail. A mobile title is fine at 30 frames per second (regardless of mobile hardware in Quest).

Sure, you can do it, but you would sacrifice a lot of perf you can use for other things.

I think URP is ready for mobile dev 100% but I'm not sure it is stable for VR yet. I would for sure develop with it for VR (I am) but only if release is a ways off.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  29. sas67uss

sas67uss

@Elvar_Orn
    An important question :
    Do the bug fixes in the latest version of URP apply to previous versions as well? For example, I want to use the unity 2019.4 LTS , which finally supports URP 7.5 . Will the bugs fixed in URP 10 also apply to URP 7.5?

30. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

need to see in issue tracker is that bug was backported to your version

31. sas67uss

sas67uss

According to the old tradition, new versions of Unity include two features, one is new features and the other is fixed bugs, which are also applied in previous versions. It is now expected that the bags fixed in the new version of URP will also apply for Unity 2019.4 at least . because they said that URP was including in unity 2019.4 LTS

32. yuliyF

yuliyF

Is URP ready now ( may, 2021).. he-he? Do it work normal on old phones(Samsung A20-A10-A30)?

33. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

34. negativegeforce

negativegeforce

I was reading this post like 7 months ago when I was trying to decide on urp so I thought I’d give my thoughts. I’m using latest 2020 LTS URP Render for Jonk, Inc. Runs on anything that has at least OpenGL ES 3 that handles linear color correctly. This is basically everything after 2016.

https://www.nostroviacorp.com/blog/2021/7/4/jonk-inc-open-beta

FYI for anyone new to mobile dev…google is moving to 100% arm64 native and api 28 or Android 9 for any new updates or releases on google play. Apple is already there and require arm64 to publish anything and is starting to wash their hands of old devices. It’s pointless to try and make mobile apps run on ancient hardware. New low bar is anything Android 9. Unity has pretty much stopped all dev work on standard renderer. Everything is going into urp for mobile. There are 2-3 year old bugs in standard renderer that aren’t worth fixing. Everything looks amazing on urp out of the box and shader graph is the future. Frame debugger has been working really well for me when trying to squeeze performance out. Haven’t had any stability issues.

35. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

36. SanDong0313

SanDong0313

Hi everyone.
    Please help me. I'm using URP in Unity for mobile.
    When I run app , app was stopped.
    What's wrong with this?

37. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Look at console output, read errors, fix errors.

We can't really help as we have no information.