Search Unity

Resolved Is URP going to be default soon?

Discussion in 'SRP Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by DevDunk, Sep 29, 2022.

1. DevDunk

DevDunk

New projects by default will be using the BiRP (since new users/less experienced ones just click 3D since they dont know what 3D URP and 3D HDRP are). I think it would be good to make the new default URP, maybe with 3D Built-in being a secondary option like URP is right now.
    This will get more users on SRP and will make it easier to make assets for the asset store, as well as giving them the latest features

2. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

We are really eager to make URP the default in the hub. However, we're approaching it very carefully. We first want to complete full functional parity for URP with Built-in RP. This includes guaranteed better performance of URP on all platforms when using similar features (legacy mobile shaders will always be faster than the standard URP shader), full documentation coverage, high robustness and more productive workflows. As you can read in the blogpost we are getting really close and many projects have everything they need to benefit from using the SRPs with the latest releases.

glenneroo and DevDunk like this.
  3. Recon03

Recon03

we don't want it rushed for people who are actually making games for a living, or doing contract work, we don't need more headaches.... with that buggy crap SRP's...... I still would love to meet the person who decided it was a good idea to have 3 rendering pipelines.... I wonder if he was high when he decided this was a good idea...

One is plenty....... HDRP is usless.. Unless you KNOW for a fact your game is PC only..

Other wise you better use URP.... Most of us are in built in, and won't use SRPs until its way better.. less buggy.... I get hundreds of DM's a month about SRP problems all over Discord....

how ever.... URP is alot better than it has been.

HDRP, no thanks.

Atleast Unity is thinking about us for a change, normally they just care about the asset store and ignore those that have more headaches, when making games or working with studios.... and we are forgotten, so i'm glad you have not dumped built in.. just yet... So yes please take your time, other wise you will have more people leaving Unity, that work on games and studios.... We don't need more headaches... SRP has been a nightmare for many ..

4. tatoforever

tatoforever

They can't dump BIRP yet, URP adoption is really small, around 30%. Maybe when reaching more than 70%, it will become a better viable option.
    And yeah, I also don't get who got this brilliant idea of having three render pipelines. Who ever got it, lacked vision, din't imagined how messy things can get overtime.
    I get it, people wanted to control their rendering stage/passes more. Right, just make the BIRP renderpasses accessible through an API and let people remove/replace/add their own render passes. What I've observed is that 99% of SRP users don't want to make new renderers, they just want to take advantage of SRP Batcher and add custom render passes.
    Now for each pipeline, Unity need one team, they also have to implement almost the same features for each SRP pipeline because no matter what there's tons of platforms and features overlap for all pipelines.
    Last thing, both URP and HDRP has a high CPU overhead. You immediatelly see the CPU time jump when you go from BIRP to URP or HDRP. Im wondering if is comes from their C# implementation?

bart_the_13th likes this.
  5. Recon03

Recon03

Ya that is what I was saying, the OP, was saying to "I think it would be good to make the new default URP"
    I was basically saying heck no. we need to wait awhile....

Unity always makes foolish choices, so knowing them, I wouldn't doubt they would dump it to early .So how many times have them dumped Multiplayer, and other stuff, that was half backed, and had no alternative... We still don't have streaming tools..... When Epic is on its second iteration , we keep hearing for what 4-5 years now that these Open World tools are coming..... Yet nothing... if Unity made games, they would of had this stuff by now..

They made that sample game and even admitted that they had to make alot of there own things, and they dumped the game, I bet due to the amount of work, we go through with that engine...haha....

Many asset devs dumped there tools early because of HDRP, URP, which was foolish for them to dump them, like Dyamnic decal asset, which was pretty good, I still use it, Unity decal tool does not exist unless you use SRP and its horrible......

So asset devs, should realize this.... Many people making games that are releasing will NOT use SRP, they will stick with what works with less headaches and that is built in...

I remember when SRP was first made, I have years of experience with studios and AA, in house engines and other engine development experience, and I said no way will this be done for years... and I remember alot of Unity users calling me and idiot and a troll.... When I knew better. Yet here we are years later and its not even close to being done.... ..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022