Search Unity

Is unity web player safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sereda008, Dec 22, 2010.

1. sereda008

sereda008

I mean is it safe to put a level onto the player without being worried of any of the assets being downloaded? Is it just "Play" or are there any ways people might download the levels?

2. eedok

eedok

how are they going to play the level without downloading the assets?

3. sereda008

sereda008

Maybe its encrypted in some way?

4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well its all in a unity3d file, so unless you know the format of that file (I believe its a closed format) I think we are safe (relatively).

5. sereda008

sereda008

Thanks for the info.

6. callahan.44

callahan.44

It's a .NET assembly... it might as well be an open book.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

unity doesn't encrypt the data but they are lzma compressed

8. sereda008

sereda008

I just got all the information to download games from the web player, thanks!

Ok, just kidding. Thanks for the replies.

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

They also use a proprietary format for storing the data which makes it harder (but not impossible) to steal the assets.

Also someone can find the link to your .unity3d file from the html and potentially embed it in their pages (although there are some things you can do to stop that working).

I think Unity Pro offers some kind of encryption?

10. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Just like every game that runs locally, web player content can be stolen:

• Code is stored in .NET assemblies. There are decent disassemblers freely available.
    • Models and textures are uploaded to the graphics card. There are free programs available that will intercept this data and allow you to store it.
    • Audio has to be decompressed either before or during playback. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of this process, but I'm sure it's just as easy to steal as other assets.

So don't ever release a game, right? No. Stop worrying about people pirating your stuff. If it's worth stealing, then it's worth buying. Focus on selling something worth buying, and you'll make money. Every penny or second spent on preventing piracy is wasted.

11. hs1S

hs1S

12. callahan.44

callahan.44

Like Daniel said, don't waste your time/energy on try to protect it. It's safe from the majority of people.

If you do make a serious effort to protect the assets, hackers will hack it just for the "challenge" anyway.