Search Unity

Question Is Unity remote config suitable for hot patch(hot update) of online game producion?

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by Bagazi, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Bagazi

Bagazi

What is the major purpose/functionality of unity remote config?:D I am looking for a solution that could hot update the online game after published..If does,what the difference with version update on stores( like steam/googleplay update ) and remote config...

2. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Bagazi,

Thanks for posting.
    Remote config can be used in various ways. With remote config you can change parameters within your game.

A simple example :
    Change a parameter without creating a new build of your game.
    Imagine you have a parameter that handles game difficulty. With Remote Config you can simply change the parameter using unity dashboards. By changing game difficulty from HARD > MEDIUM for all users are specific groups of users.

upload_2021-11-29_9-18-49.png

If you add analytics on top of remote config you can do the following example:
    You have players playing your game you can see that there is a big drop off of players at the boss level. With remote config you can change the boss difficulty from HARD > MEDIUM for users who are struggling to beat that boss.

These are simple examples but you have the power to change many parameters. Imagine changing a public parameter on an object within Unity. With Remote config you can change that public parameter from outside of Unity.

For your specific request I suggest looking into Cloud Content Delivery.
    With Cloud Content Delivery you can deliver content to an already published game without having to re-submit your application.

Let me know if this clears things up.

Best,
    Sebastiano

3. Bagazi

Bagazi

Thanks very much for helping:D

If Cloud Content Delivery that metioned above are independent with remote config... If could said that remote config would be used for value configration(without del/add any existed config porperty) while cdn could modify and transfer file. Could I just use cdn alone for hot update?(Cause that maybe simpler with one method)

4. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Bagazi,
    Yes you could use CCD (Cloud Content Delivery) without integrating Remote config.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,
    Sebastiano

Bagazi likes this.