Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Unity leaving support for OpenVR entirely?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Flamacore, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Flamacore

Flamacore

According to the manual page for 2019.3, the list below does not contain any OpenVR platform or device. Does that mean Unity is cutting support to OpenVR? What to do with gazillions of HTC Vives and other OpenVR device games/apps made with unity I wonder? Custom made, non-official plugins?

Strange choice to me, if it's actually a choice. If this is the case, any guides, ideas or solutions to use for the future? I mean right now, even if it's deprecated, we can still use it nonetheless but what to do when 2020 hits?

Ref: https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/XR.html

jashan, BlackDragonBE and ROBYER1 like this.
  2. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

https://forum.unity.com/threads/xr-plugins-and-subsystems.693463/page-3#post-5336781

Developers with existing OpenVR projects should develop their VR apps using Unity 2018.4 LTS.

Unity 2019.3 and 2019.4 LTS still offer built-in support for Open VR, but bugs and issues might not be prioritized and the package will be removed in future releases.

More information regarding an OpenVR XR Plugin for Unity will be added at a later date.

jashan likes this.
  3. jashan

jashan

That last sentence in particular, I find very concerning, as well as the recommendation to not even update to Unity 2019 when developing using OpenVR. Plus Unity staff being completely silent on this despite the frequent questions about OpenVR/SteamVR in various forum postings.

4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I wouldn't worry too much honestly just wait and see, the documentation mentions it will be updated when ready.

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Blogpost about it coming January 23rd apparently

6. bngames

bngames

So Unity will not support HTC, Index, Cosmos - Unity needs to support all hardware out of the box, old and new!!!!!!!!!!!

7. jashan

jashan

Valve does have an UnityXR Plugin: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/unity-xr-plugin

And there's also a version 2.6 of the SteamVR Unity Plugin that works with UnityXR: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/releases

There are other issues you might run into when using UnityXR, so personally, for the time being, I'm staying away from it (I'm using Unity 2019.4 LTS, with the old approach, and it still works quite well).

EDIT: Fixed type - "Valve does not have" was not what I wanted to say ;-)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Was the "not" in that first sentence a typo?

jashan likes this.
  9. jashan

jashan

Ooops, yeah, that was the opposite of what I wanted to say. Fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!

10. Regulus343

Regulus343

I'm in the same boat as you. 2019.4 LTS, and I just upgraded over the past 2 days only to switch back. My reason was that "single pass" rendering is gone in favor of "single pass instanced", and so the water shader my project depended on was no longer working. "Multi pass" means a CPU performance sacrifice, and the WMR plugin doesn't have that, so WMR players would still not see the water correctly. So like you, I'm going to stay away from it for awhile and wait for it to truly be worthy of deprecating the legacy system.

jashan likes this.
  11. jashan

jashan

Yup, same issue here. Moving to Single Pass had already been a major pain and it took a year or two until everything worked properly with Single Pass. Now that it's all working, Unity says "oh, you know, we don't support this anymore, change everything again."

I can imagine that Single Pass Instanced does give us a significant performance boost over Single Pass ... but simply deprecating Single Pass seems like an incredibly lazy move from UT. But now that it's subscription based, they can get away with it. Except, people that had loved Unity for many many years are starting to hate the corporation with passion.

unityunity