Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Unity ever going to support a case-sensitive filesystem?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greay, Jun 20, 2016.

1. greay

greay

As far as I know, it does for Linux, so I don't understand why they didn't fix this bug for OS X. I was completely blindsided by this – I can't believe this is still an issue.

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can you explain more please? also where the bug report/tracking for this?

3. greay

greay

There's forum posts going back to 2008. I can't find an actual bug report because the search returns nothing but garbage. Here's a "feature" request, though: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/editor-support-casesensitive-f – from 2009.

I don't know what else to call it than a bug, though. Unity doesn't know how to handle a case sensitive file system (which has been supported by OS X for over 10 years), and if you try to open a project on a case sensitive drive, it will tell you it can't do it and quit.

What's most mind-boggling is, as far as I can tell, Unity had to add support for case sensitive file systems when they added support for Linux. So why it still doesn't on OS X is beyond me.

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thing is I been using OSX since I began development due to face need to use it for iOS and never seem to have the issue you mentioned. So hence confused about the issue, how one reproduce it?
    If indeed its real issue, I to be shocked?

5. Nabren

Nabren

The issue only happens if you try to open a project that is installed on a case sensitive file system. The error Unity spits out is:

The project is on case sensitive file system.
    Case sensitive file systems are not supported at the moment.
    Please move the project folder to a case insensitive file system.

6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ways to tell if your partitions are "case sensitive" or not:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/71357/how-to-check-if-my-hd-is-case-sensitive-or-not

And an excerpt:

So sounds like your best bet is to copy all your files off, and reformat the partitions to be.... less sensitive :p

Plus I can't think of any situation ever where I needed a case sensitive file system. I used to repair computers as a full time job, and never ever once needed to do that, for anything, ever. So yeah just change your system configuration to be the normal file system.

7. greay

greay

Yeah, I ended up having to reformat my computer because of this. Which is ridiculous. Because, correct me if I'm wrong, UNITY ALREADY SUPPORTS case sensitive file systems on Linux. It's not like I'm doing anything weird – OS X has offered HFS+ (case sensitive) for twelve years – far as I can tell – longer than Unity has existed.

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Yeah I feel your pain, technology is supposed to make our lives easier isn't it? Haha

9. alxcancado

alxcancado

2018 and still happening wtf I cant just format my hard disk now...

pltanhthu likes this.
  10. LaneFox

LaneFox

This issue seems like an edge case. Can you post more information about your system?

NTFS works fine. APFS as well AFAIK.

11. alxcancado

alxcancado

I'm using mac 10.12.6, my file system disk is a Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Problem is that I have another disk with all my projects but this one is a Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled).

So Unity complains when trying to load these projects.

I got it, I need to change the file system to non-sensitive but I can't do it right now (format the disk or BUY iPartition to do this work non-destructive).

As a workaround I created a Disk Image using Disk Utility and put the project I need to work in there, so no more problem from Unity... but this is a workaround, I'm not happy :D

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

Well, use a nonstandard setup and get nonstandard results. Seems to be working fine if you ask me.

13. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'd just copy all the files onto the main drive temporarily, format it, and then copy back over... worst case scenario you need to buy a big flash drive or external hdd to use as the middleman.

14. alxcancado

alxcancado

Yeah, I cannot copy S*** into my 120Gb sdd now :D but I'm saving my files into a friend external drive so, there is hope Hahaha.

Thank you all
    ( this still a bug in my opinion but I can fix it soon :D )

MD_Reptile likes this.
  15. gaalia98

gaalia98

yes,I just created new partition,instaled Unity there and its given me the same case sensitive file system error

16. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Why didn't you use a non case sensitive file system?

17. gaalia98

gaalia98

Which file system is not sensitive?

18. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

"Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" I think is not case sensitive. If you use "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)" you run into problems. I think these names show up just like that when selecting a format, if I remember correctly anyway.

gaalia98 likes this.
  19. gaalia98

gaalia98

thank you,I will try

20. gaalia98

gaalia98

People,Unity running, after formatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) error message for case sensitive disapeared

21. gaalia98

gaalia98

thank you :) for help, its works now

22. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

No problem, good luck!

23. justadropofwater

justadropofwater

Hijacking an old thread, apologies.

Saying don't use a case-sensitive file system or that it's an edge case is empirically inaccurate. In larger multi-platform dev shops, with things like CI and other automation, working across a myriad of devices for things like QA to prototyping this is the biggest snafu I've ever come across. It had been a few years since I last used Unity and am in awe this hasn't been addressed. Just because a majority of more mainstream file systems "don't care" (which is incorrect) shouldn't exclude common ones. For me this has transformed from a technical cost to an operational one.

24. tylertempdev

tylertempdev

2022 now, no fix. Thanks Unity, to demo how we should just move to some other engine.