Search Unity

Is unity capable of fading between 2 shadow resolutions to get better performance?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WillModelForFood, Dec 5, 2013.

1. WillModelForFood

WillModelForFood

Is there a way to fade between 2 resolutions from a realtime directional light? (not baked)
    I have a scene with a lot of foliage and when I use high res shadows I get bad performance and low fps.
    But when I set the shadows to low I get 300+
    This is understandable using alot of trees and a dynamic light but-

A feature that I noticed in the new grand theft auto is the rage engine seems to blend between two different shadow resolutions.
    Close to the camera the shadows are high, but a few feet away it shifts into a completely different much lower resolution.

This is a necessity for my project in order to have reasonable performance with realtime shadows in my forest environments, I was almost considering going back to trying cryengine until I remembered this method,

Is it possible in unity? And if so how, or is an asset or something required?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity pro fades between realtime shadows and lightmap shadows, it's probably what you need. In the distance it's baked. It's fast like this.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The Unity realtime shadows can use cascades, which use a low-res texture farther away and a high-res version close up. You can have 0, 2 or 4 cascades as set in the quality settings.

--Eric

4. brianasu

brianasu

Maybe the foliage might be killing the fillrate of your gfx card. Maybe you can use a cheaper shader to render the foliage. Or use LODs or more "opaque objecs"