Search Unity

Is unity capable of creating a game like badlands/braid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FarzanZand, Aug 3, 2013.

1. FarzanZand

FarzanZand

Hi there!
    We are working on creating a platformer that has the same look as the game badlands/braid, with the beautiful backgrounds and 2d art. This is a trailer for those that have not seen the game before.
    Badlands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7Y5UaoBoY
    Braid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfR2DVknaoU

Since unity is a 3d-engine, is it possible to create a platformer game as beautiful as badlands on an engine such as unity? We are thinking longterm and it would be a shame to learn unity for three years and then in the end not be able to create a game such as braid/badlands.

I have seen several 2d-games on unity but none have really been as esthetically challenging like a game like braid or badlands would be. Would unity be able to create such a platformer and would performance be an issue? The 2d-toolkit is a fascinating tool. Would it be useful to create games such as these?

Thinks that we care about:

- Parallax scrolling backgrounds with beautiful art.
    - Smooth gameplay.
    - All art is created by hand and characters will be 2D (2,5D) and not 3D.
    - Acceptable file size. Not sure if file size is more or equal if these are created with unity.

If anyone could help enlighten me, you would make me and my friends very happy! I am so far extremely impressed with the engine, and hope to be able to use it for these types of games.

Best regards

Farzan and friends.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

A lot of good looking 2D games have been made with Unity:

Kentucky Route Zero
    Bad Piggies
    Year Walk
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
    Zombieville
    The Other Brothers
    Triple Town
    Beat Sneak Bandit

...the list is quite long...

Badlands doesn't present any particular technical challenges, the art is just really good. Braid uses particles in interesting ways to make a painterly look, but there is nothing to stop you from doing this in Unity.

This question has been asked many times and I suggest doing a few searches.

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Personally I like Ittle Dew its a zelda like game. I didnt even know it was made with unity.

4. FarzanZand

FarzanZand

Lovely! Thank you both of you. I checked out all the games that you mentioned and they put my mind at ease, and will now straight away learning more unity.

Cheers mates!