Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is unity actually free for commercial use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by droid15, Aug 15, 2010.

1. droid15

droid15

I downloaded unity(basic) and it said thats its free for personal and commercial use. Does this mean that I can sell any game I make with unity basic without buying a license.

2. Taintspore

Taintspore

Yep, you just won't have access to paid features. Welcome to the boards!

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yes you can make games and sell them with the free unity :) (there is no unity basic aside of the iphone and the iphone does not offer any free licenses)

4. droid15

droid15

Nice I remember coming to the unity site one time and there being no free version and all the paid versions cost at least 1000 so I left. Has it always been like that? One more thing are there any good tutorials for people who are just starting? I looked at the fps car and 3rd person tutorials and they all require a basic knowledge of unity. Where do I get a tutorial that can give me the basics? :?:

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That was never the case. Unity Indie was $250 initially, then lowered to $200 at some point, then free late last year.

--Eric

6. Argien

Argien

7. droid15

droid15

8. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

You do get to see the unity logo for a few seconds at the start of your desktop app, web player, etc.

There are ways to cover it up on the web but not so easy on the desktop.

I would like to know if the presence of the unity logo is a legal requirement for its use?

9. Taintspore

Taintspore

I hear a lot of people get started with help from these guys.

Will Goldstone has some good websites (and a pretty good book) on learning unity.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I would assume the bit in the license about how you should not "remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Software" would make it a requirement, yes. Covering it up would also likely be a violation.

--Eric

11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I can see that but the covering up part is a gray area. I mean, people design websites and sometimes on a website you need to display stuff on top of other stuff. So you could easily create a div with some other graphic in it and remove the div once the webplayer is satisfactorily loaded. What if you were doing that for purposes not to hide the intro logo but simply because you don't want to show the webplayer until it's fully loaded, like, to avoid the loading screen completely? And what about the pro license people who don't get the logo's?

12. hmacyt

hmacyt

I wish we were allowed to tweak or alter the loading screen instead of the plan white loading thing, maybe our game name with a load bar, and once you hit play it does a short powered by unity animation.

I like options :p

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

The pro users pay for what they get, the free users don't pay anything and have to compensate for it by publically advertising the tech they use.

And loading the webplayer while invisible will not work, as covering with divs won't as you will in both cases find out if you try.

invisible webplayers are a common root for browser crashes and div overlay does not work cause cpu rendered 2D can not overlay hw rendered out of context 3D

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Since there are no logos in Pro, there are no notices or labels that you could remove. I usually put in some notice somewhere about being made with Unity anyway.

--Eric

15. Julian-Glenn

Julian-Glenn

Same here. I figure it's the least I can do seeing as I didn't have to get my hands dirty writing the engine in C++ from the ground up, but can instead focus on game design. Nothing wrong with being proud of those buggers in Copenhagen /cheer

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

Agreed
    I think stuff that saved me countless hours is always well worth being mentioned, be it in an own project through logos etc or through recommending it to others searching solution for a similar problem

17. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

What about using css to temporarily hide the 3d?

18. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I agree that Unity saves a huge amount of time and makes a tonne of stuff possible, for which I'm grateful, but I just don't know that the *customer* or end user really gives a dam about that or whether it's appropriate to mention it to them at all. Of course Unity Pro is doing things right, getting out of the way completely. If you own/buy Unity Pro would you deliberately add back in a Unity logo?

19. Julian-Glenn

Julian-Glenn

Many triple A (AAA) titles mention the Engine they use.

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

Outside of unity pro its actually standard for professional engines that you must advertise it prominentely.
    waiving that normally costs a pretty large percentage of the regular engine license fee on top of it, if possible at all (due to the lose of income for the engine creator)

21. taumel

taumel

Depends...

License Restrictions

* Companies or incorporated entities that had a turnover in excess of US$100,000 in their last fiscal year must use Unity Pro.

* A company, incorporated entity, or individual may not use both Unity and Unity Pro. So a team can't mix those two licenses.

Restrictions on Unity iPhone Publishing Basic

* The Basic license can be purchased and used with either Unity or Unity Pro. The restrictions for the Basic license are:

* Unity iPhone Publishing Basic may not be licensed and used by companies or incorporated entities that had a turnover in excess of US$100,000 in their last fiscal year.

22. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

What it boils down to is the legal boundary.

If I do not modify the exe in any way to cause the unity logo to show, and I somehow cover it up with something else whose jurastiction is outside the realm of UT's control, then is that a violation, legally?

23. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Ask a lawyer. If you can't afford one, you'll lose anyway, which makes the answer moot.

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

It will only help UT to justify extra steps to never make DIV over the webplayer possible to prevent smarty S***ters from playing tricks ... Such people aren't smart, they are the major reason WHY we have such licensing and requirements with their strong desire to pretend to be more than they are.
    If you didn't create something, don't pretend you did, cause that behavior is the lowest among developers, even a damned cracker has more pride than such developers have and a better reputation anyway

25. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I respect your opinion but all of what you just said is a value judgement and not a legal one.

What if a person makes a website where the page is 2 screens high and the unity webplayer is in the bottom half of the screen, ie `off screen`, and thus the player loads before the user sees the unity logo?

How is that any different to hiding the logo on purpose by covering it up or any other technique?

I'm not saying I want to or will try to cover up the Unity logo, just that I want to know exactly where the legal line is drawn.

26. Alric

Alric

Don't think discussion forums are really the best place to look for legal advice.

But I would imagine the difference between deliberately covering something up, and removing it, is a pretty shaky one.

27. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

I repeat. If you want a legal judgement, ask a lawyer. That's what they do. Asking a public internet forum for legal advice is like asking the woman behind the counter in Sainsburys to rewire your house. In the unlikely event that you stumble across someone qualified to actually do it, you still aren't qualified to determine that they did a good job.

28. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I've sent Unity a direct email to ask their view.

29. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Unity Technologie's response to my email is basically, clearly, that you `must not cover up the Unity logo`.

Moving onto something slightly related, not trying to cover up the logo but trying to cover up a part of my content temporarily...

Dreamora, you said: "...div overlay does not work cause cpu rendered 2D can not overlay hw rendered out of context 3D"

I'm curious about this statement. If the unity player is somehow `paused` in script, ie the backbuffer stops flipping, can you temporarily overlay normal 2d web stuff on top of it, like a dropdown menu that covers the Unity area?

30. JRavey

JRavey

I cannot believe we are even have this discussion on the watermark. The easiest way to prevent the watermark is to buy Unity Pro. =/

31. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

More like saying:

The easiest way to prevent the watermark is to pay $1200.

I liek the watermark. It symbols that I love Unity.

32. Vimalakirti

Vimalakirti

What a jerk.

33. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

Agreed (my avatar goes perfect with that).

Imo, when I get Unity Pro, its going to have the Unity logo.

Fades in from black