Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Unity 3.5.7 compatible with OSx 10.9 mavericks?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Juang3d, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Juang3d

Juang3d

2. AdbC99

AdbC99

Same here, just scratching a living at the moment and would be a disaster if my 3.5.7 licenses were end of lined

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I would not have thought so. Like, maybe it will still work, but I'm pretty sure that even 4.2 has had people report problems on Mavericks.

4. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yeh, same here. Still stucked at Unity v3.5.7 and SL. Any of you brave soul who tried it out please share your result! :D

5. bpritchard

bpritchard

No problems so far.. i'm using 3.5.6 for a legacy project and 4.2 for our more current projects and both run fine, build with no issues. We don't do a lot of mono level debugging which i think most people are reporting issues with but overall the experience has been seamless.

6. AdbC99

AdbC99

Thanks guys, the general issues I hear on 4.2 are mono debugging and not being able to open c# scripts from the error log which are annoying to live with but not life threatening, hmmm, thinking about mavericks once I have major projects out the way

7. bobthenob

bobthenob

Don't upgrade unity is almost unusable in mavericks whole system freezing

8. nada

nada

does anyone have an official statement from unity3d on this issue?
    i am trying to contact their support but waiting and waiting and waiting for an answer :(
    same problem here, should update for newer projects but have some older ones which i can not successfully migrate, so i keep working in both 4.3 and 3.5.7.
    as i skipped the 10.8 update, i cannot update xcode now, which is quite annoying.

9. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

4.3.4 Was recently released solely to alleviate the Mavericks issue http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.3.4

However for 3.5.7 it is likely that it has not been QA tested for Mavericks since this version of Unity is the last in the 3.x cycle. If you are in the middle of project, it's generally unwise to update your editor and operating system, this can cause unnecessary problems and time wasted.

As for the support case, it is being responded to as I post this. Please allow 5 business days for a response from our team as we answer cases chronologically.

10. nada

nada

aurore, thank you very much for your fast reply!

To answer your question, legacy versions of Unity are not tested on newer OS versions. Specifically 3.5.7 has not been QAed on Mavericks. We would not recommend customers upgrade their OS whilst using 3.5.7. Note that we are not saying it will not work, just that it adds an element of risk that you may wish to avoid. If you have a working set-up we would advise you to keep it. If your new projects use 4.3.4 and need Mavericks then for now consider dual-booting the Macs.

this is about the same as your advise and for sure i wouln't even consider myself to update my os if we wasn't working on 2 concurrent projects. in the short run i will not upgrade and in the long run i will have and hope 3.5.7 will work enought to provide updates to our legacy app.

i'm aware that unity support certainly gets a really really lot of questions, so i only wrote here/asked support again, after waiting 5 business days. but sometimes 5 days are quite long for important decisions if your are working on deadlines, so what i learned is that i will certainly post questions here sooner.

11. AdbC99

AdbC99

I'm stuck on 3.5.7 for the moment and am hoping to be able to upgrade to mavericks, but now I have a machine which can't be updated and am not sure if it is affected by apples massive security blunder

12. nada

nada

i finally decided to stay on OSX 10.5.7 for the 3.5.7 projects. this makes my workflow with testing on ipad air etc a little cumbersome but keeps me safe.
    i will eventually exchange my machine next week and start clean with mavericks and unity 4.3.x, hoping to never have to touch the unity 3.x projects again...
    so @AdbC99: no news, sorry.

13. Keir

Keir

Be warned that ios apps must be built with xcode 5 from Feb 1 of this year. This requires at least OS X 10.8.4 to run. Upgrading to 10.8 (Mountain Lion) will cost you $20. Mavericks is a free upgrade, but maybe more risky....

14. chemninja

chemninja

anybody using Unity3.5.7 and Mavericks?

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I have Mavericks, and I've used 3.5.7 a little, with no apparent problems. But it was mostly only used to upload an asset to the store with 3.5.7 in order to make that the minimum version, so I don't know if more in-depth usage would be different.

--Eric

16. pretender

pretender

Thanks for information! Any advice you can give to me regarding this...can I revert easily if it doesn't work?

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You would naturally always have a backup of your project at all times, so it doesn't matter if it works or not. Works?-->good. Not work?-->restore from backup.

--Eric

18. schwertfisch

schwertfisch

I am using UnityPro 3.5.7f6. I recently updated to Mavericks and Xcode 5.1.1.

Now, Unity is almost unusable.

While I can work on my project and build without errors, Unity stalls every 20-30'' for 10-20'', making working with it a living hell. No other software on my iMac behaves like this. I have no idea where to start looking for a solution, as I cannot seem to find anything helpful on the internet about my problem.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's a driver bug in Mavericks. You can use Unity 4.3.4, which works around the problem.

--Eric

20. schwertfisch

schwertfisch

Thanks Eric, but since I'm using the Pro version, upgrading to 4.3.4 means paying for the upgrade and I'm not planning to do that any time soon. Isn't there support for 3.5 anymore?

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, it's too old. Also, it's Apple's bug so they should fix it since it affects things other than Unity. 10.9.3 was released recently; maybe that helps? Typically, the release notes are...sparse.

--Eric

22. schwertfisch

schwertfisch

"it affects things other than Unity": didn't know that. Very interesting, I hope they do fix it, I'll check my version and be on the lookout for updates. Thanks again :)