Search Unity

Is transferring a half-built VR project from Occulus to HTC a major stumbling block?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Reverend-Speed, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

I'm a fairly experienced Unity Dev, used to switching project platforms, etc. I'm doing some work for a gentleman who's making an exhibit that will use VR, and so far we've been testing the project on an early Oculus device. According to the client, we'll ultimately be targeting a HTC Vive Pro Eye.

I've been proceeding with work with the basic assumption that a headset's a headset and that transferring work from one to the other shouldn't be a major hassle as Unity's basically going to work as the middleware.

However, my client has heard from some sources that transferring the work could prove to be a major stumbling block. My research doesn't seem to suggest that, but I wanted to check if anybody'd had personal experience in the area.

2. linojon

linojon

Obviously "it depends" on how reliant your implementation is on OVR components and sdk (e.g. interactables, avatars, cloud services). Substituting the camera rig alone is easy. Take a look at our whitepaper for suggestions. http://www.parkerhill.com/bridgexr-white-paper

3. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Thank you for that link @linojon , will read with interest! The project itself is a fairly simple, slow tour through some unreal landscapes, with some unsettling mesh and particle effects and soundtrack. There should be some minor interactions using hand controllers (shining lights, perturbing some metaballs), but it's mostly standard Unity stuff. If that sounds good to you, I'll pass that onto my client (along with the whitepaper!). Thanks!