Search Unity

is timeline being abandoned?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by laurentlavigne, Apr 19, 2021.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

i'm asking that in earnest, figure out the toolset for the net project
    perception that it's abandoned stems from multiple comments of inactivity and regressions in current package

2. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

Timeline is not being abandoned, far from it.

We are actively fixing bugs; we strive for a new patch release every 6 weeks (give or take). In addition, a lot of new APIs were introduced in version 1.5, based on the very feedback we received here on the forums. That trend will continue for future releases.

We are also developing new features; you can look at our roadmap right here (click on the Timeline tab).

If you discover a regression, I’ll ask you to open a bug report. All reports are thoroughly reviewed and regressions are flagged as high priority.

Immu likes this.
  3. topitsky

topitsky

Is it not possible to have parameters on those signal emitters? That seems like such a basic thing that you would first think about when doing this system. CBA writing boiler plate code for each signal.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  4. andybak

andybak

Considering most of this thread is about the hated event implementation - something that has been complained about since it was released how come thats not listed?

Is someone at Unity still defending the design of this feature? If so could they please engage here and describe the use case that made this level of indirection neccessary? I've been watching this issues for a long time and all I've even heard is some vague handwaving that never really made much sense.

How much feedback do you need to reconsider the design of a feature?

laurentlavigne likes this.
  5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

These are only editor fixes though, they don't address fundamental issues like hiccups during async load.
    If I'm making a cinematic and use it to load a bunch of stuff i can't use timeline, I have to preload everything which defeats the purpose of a cinematic. Such bug should be priority over lipgloss.

Even when i consider editor i see no fundamental ergonomics like the ability to manipulate a group like a clip - this is trax 101, XSI back 20 years ago had that.

6. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

Timeline needs huge improvements in a lot of areas.

Signals/events is one of those areas, I agree.

The Timeline editor UI is also another area that needs massive changes in usability and workflows.

I'm aware of all the bugs, the API issues, the editor UI that is missing common NLE stuff, etc. etc. I truly empathize with you all when you stumble on problems like that.

There's one thing I want to make clear: it's not about stubbornness and it's not about a lack of commitment. The team is 100% dedicated in improving Timeline. Thing is, we have a lot of tech debt that must be addressed in order to make those changes, so we can't fix everything in one go.

laurentlavigne and andybak like this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Oh, I see, now I understand the changelist, thanks for clarifying.

8. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

playable.GetTime() is always less than playable.GetDuration() even on the last frame. This makes my Timeline extension never reach the last frame. How many years will it take you to solve this problem?

9. akent99

akent99

I would assume this is mandatory behavior or else the next clip butted up immediately adjacent would result in the old and new clip both being called. I assume the rule is you get called start <= t < end.

But I would agree it’s useful to know if last frame of a clip. I am trying to show a progress bar and it does not reach 100% because I want 0% to 100% inclusive. So planning to pretend duration of clip is end time minus fps or something. Want an inclusive duration for the clip. (But I have not looked yet!)

10. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

We can use custom blending to decide what to do when clips overlap. So there will be no conflict.

11. akent99

akent99

Hmm. For my case (not others) that would probably not help as I want to freeze-frame on the last frame at have it at 100%. E.g. I use Unity recorder in another track to make a recording, not flow into a subsequence animation. Overlapping with the next clip is not useful as the recorder would have to do that as well. So I think I just need the easier solution of "progress_bar_duration = clip_duration - delta_time" (probably delta_time * 1.5 for rounding errors) so the last frame before the clip end is 100%.